Say Goodbye

Jasmine and Brooke laid on a blanket as they chatted with each other during their picnic. A warm feeling was blossoming in Jasmine's heart as she continues to listen to Brooke talk. The way her voice coax her ears made it hard not fall in love with Brooke.  It was like the more time Jasmine spent with her, the more things she fell in love with. She fell in love with the way she moved, held her, and even texted her. It was an amazing feeling to have, and she just couldn't contain the emotion of it inside any longer.

"Brooke I have to tell you something," Jasmine said.

"What is it?"

"You know how I told you that I never had the privilege of falling in love before,"

"Yes," Brooke answered with hesitation. She did not like where this conversation was going. She was extremely nervous to hear  Jasmine's next words.

"Well, I think that has changed because I️ think I️ might be falling in love with you."

     Silence. Jasmine was hit with blank silence after her confession. Immediately she felt her heart dropped as Brooke showed no emotion. Suddenly, Brooke got up, but Jasmine grabbed her by the arm to stop her from leaving.

"Don't you dare walk away from me, after I've just confessed my feelings to you!" she stated furiously.

"I don't get it. WHY?! Why do you like me after everything I've put you through!! Why are you  still here?!"

"You don't think I've tried! I've been constantly giving myself pep talks in convincing myself I deserve better than this," Jasmine emphasize as she moved her hands between them "But somehow, I always find myself back at square one again," she finished in defeat.

"Why?"

"Because something about you just drives me crazy!"

"I don't know how! I don't understand why you like me or could possible "love" me."

"Dammit Brooke, why are you so simple? I like you because you say things that I've always wanted to say but can't put into words. I like you because you remind me of the me I would be if I didn't snap out of my haze. I like you because you make me feel something that I have never felt before. I️ don't know what I️ feel exactly, but it's something that I don't take lightly. I don't care that you try to deny what is happening between us, but I do care once you try to discredit this. It's not a damn game or an illusion to me. This is real and if you feel differently speak up now or otherwise forever hold your peace."

Confusion flickered in Brooke's eyes, before she replied with the most earth shuttering response, "I don't feel the same way about you."

"That's it. You give up now after everything I've done for you. You think its okay to let me go like that?" Jasmine asked in astonishment.

"I've told you from the start that I wasn't ready for a relationship."

"Well, I didn't take your word for it because you did little things that said otherwise."

"I'm sorry, I️ did not mean to give you false hope."

"Sorry, doesn't cut it. This is complete bullshit! I actually had hope in you. In us. I just thought you needed more time to gain proof of my true intentions. That I wasn't going to be another person in your life who lets you down. And I wanted to be that person who showed you that you needed to give "love" a chance again. I wanted to be that person who showed you another world full of possibilities, so you could transform into a person who you deserve to be! But I guess that was too much to ask for since you can't change a person who doesn't want to be changed. Ha. Maybe the change I envision wasn't for the best," Jasmine said while silently chuckling to herself. "I guess I do live in a fantasy, but what sucks is I actually believed I could make it a reality."

"I'm..."

"No! Do not say anything else. Everything that's coming out of your mouth right now is just pissing me off.  I'm just hurting right now. No more words are needed to be said. Just...goodbye."

"Goodbye," Brooke said sorrowfully as she watches yet another person walk out of her life.