The First Play

King Nao stared back at Prime Minister Lei and his foolish son.  Although he found the scene before him quiet entertaining, Liam's actions reflected badly on not only the Prime Minister's house, but also reflected badly on him if he didn't punish the foolish flower pants.  

"For his crime against disturbing this celebration, Liam Lei, son of Prime Minster Lei shall receive 30 paddle strokes. Prime Minister Lei will get half of his monthly income halved for three months and pay reparations to the young woman, Liam Lei had dishonored.  So this King has said, so it shall be."  King Nao ordered.  

Two royal guards came forward and dragged the semi conscious Liam out to the yard.  In the hall, everyone heard the slapping of paddles onto flesh as Liam cried out in pain.  Prime Minsiter Lei still knelt where he was with clenched fists by his side as he listened to his son cry out for him.  Pleading for his father to help him.  To make them stop.  

Behind the veil, no one saw the huge smile on Lihua's face and the happiness that radiated through her eyes.  She wanted to laugh, but that would be pushing her luck so instead she tipped her head down and reached out to hold Takeshi's hand under the table.  She gripped his hand tightly as she forced herself not to relish in the Lei's household embarrassment and pain.  

The snake venom that was in Liam's body is called the Yellow Summer Tears Poison.  The poison came from the elusive Yellow Summer snake that could only be found in the summer if they tried hard enough.  For the rest of the year the snake barrels itself  in its undergroundlabyrinth and only comes out during the summer to mate.  It's poisonous venom activates slowly within a four hour period, where the first symptom would be the burning up of a body and hallucination.  From there, the poison would spread faster and further into the body by an accelerated heart, once the whole body is affected, the person will hallucinate for the rest of his life.  

When the last stroke finished, Lei servants have dragged the unconscious body of the Young Master out of the palace and back home.  

"Due to the actions of Prime Minister Lei and his son, This King no longer want to continue this celebration.  Everyone, you are dismissed.  King Takeshi bring your future wife with you into this King's study." King Nao announced.  

After the King and Queen left, Takeshi and Lihua left afterwards.  The rest of the guests left afterwards. 

As Takeshi led Lihua towards his brother's study, the eunuch by the door first knocks on the door and waits until the King tells them to enter.  When Lihua and Takeshi enters, the eunuch closes the door after them.  Following Takeshi's lead, Lihua also bowed in greeting when they reached King Nao. 

"Please rise." King Nao said as he sat behind the desk.  "Sit."  

Takeshi and Lihua both took a seat and sat.

"This King shall not stand on ceremony since we will become family soon."  King Nao said.  "Take off your veil, so I can see the face of my brother's savior."  

Lihua's hand came up to take off her veil, but hesitates.  

"Do not be alarmed, Takeshi has told me about the poison markings that you bare.  I understand your hesitation, but I'm asking you to take off your veil so I can see the face of my brother's savior so I can thank you face to face.  I mean no harm by it."  

Lihua's body relaxes as both hands comes up to take the veil off.  When the veil falls, Lihua kept her eyes staring at the desk in front of her and dared not to look at the King.  

If not for the poison marking on her face, the young woman before him would have been a great beauty.  If she wasn't his brother's woman, he would have taken her for himself.  Having a poison taste tester by his side would be very convenient to his livelihood.  However he had already taken his brother's first love, how could he take his brother's second love?  He saw with his own eyes, how his brother takes care of the woman.  How she was able to make him smile and laugh.  He has not heard his brother laugh since he joined the army at the age of 8.  

"Thank you Miss Lihua for saving my brother." King Nao said.  "Thank you for nursing him back to health.  I must ask you, as his older brother, to stay by his side and take care of him for the rest of your life."  

"There is no thanks that King Nao should say.  It is this servant's luck to have found Takeshi when this servant did.  Anyone would do the right thing and help those in need." Lihua said as she stared at the table.  "It should be this servant who should thank King Nao for all the gifts you have bestowed on to me.  The biggest gift of all, is to grant the marriage between Takeshi and I.  I will try my best to stay by Takeshi's side and take care of him as he has taken care of me."  

King Nao laughed heartily in happiness at Lihua's response.  

"Then I must ask for you to take responsibility for his happiness."  King Nao said.  

"This servant will gladly take responsibility for his happiness."  

"Look at this King.  This King wonders what color your eyes are."  King Nao commanded.  

Lihua slowly lifts up her eyes, when her eyes reaches the eyes of the King, he was taken back surprise.  Her forest green eyes showed a deep sadness and loneliness to them that he did not expect.  And yet, it held a sharpness of her wit and deep wisdom from her experiences.  He could see the light from the beginnings of happiness and it comforted him.  Her happiness means his brother's happiness and that is all he ever wanted for his brother.  

"You have beautiful eyes." King Nao said.  

"This servant thanks King Nao for the complement." Lihua said as she stared back down to the table.  Her face flushed pink in embarrassment, which made her look endearing.  

"This King has some private words for this King's brother.  There is a private garden in front,  this King will have a servant show you there while we talk.  Takeshi will find you there afterwards."  

Lihua bows to King Nao and kisses Takeshi on the cheek before wearing her veil again.  They watched as she left before they began their discussion.