Sixth Step (2)

There were only two people King Nao has ever been afraid of in his life.  One was his father, King Feng Long.  The second was his father's most loyal and fiercest Shadow Guard, Eli Jian.  Nao had seen Eli fighting once.  He fought with such ruthlessness that the memory of the fight still resonates with him today.  The memory of Eli fighting should be a good memory of Eli saving him, but instead it reminded Nao of all the blood and gore he saw made by the hands of Eli alone.  Being scared for life, he had kept his distance away from Eli and sighed with relief when his father sent Eli to Takeshi's household as a gift.  

Seeing Eli now to deliver Takeshi's message and to get a response back, means that Takeshi is not happy nor is Eli for that matter.  Stilling himself, he was in the middle of the investigation, will all of the possible culprits still in the gazebo.  

The Shadow Guards all knew who Eli is.  His own name was a legend in their training circle and Shadow Guards still speak about his achievements to the younger generation.  So when they saw him, they let him pass without a word or action.  

Eli, the once famous Shadow Guard, now the right hand man to Hell King.  No one dare disrespect him as he made his way towards King Nao.  

Upon reaching the gazebo, Eli bows to King Nao and Queen Yuki who has sat next to King Nao while the investigations were being conducted.  

"Rise, Eli."  King Nao said. "What words does my brother bring?"  

"I am here to witness the findings of the culprit."  Eli said.  "Hell King has asked for the culprit to be brought to him alive so Hell King can deal with the culprit with his two hands."  

King Nao hesitates.  If the culprit was a servant, he would gladly give the culprit over.  However if the culprit was a Minister, General or their wife or daughters, it would be more tricky.  A trial would have to be held and then if found guilty, he would gladly give the culprit over with out qualms.  

Knowing the answer, Eli bowed lower and delivered his last message from Takeshi.  "King Nao, Hell King has asked for this request, from one brother to another."  

With this one sentence, Takeshi has put Nao in a sticky situation.  Will he forsake his brotherly bond to do the right thing or will he hand over the culprit and forsake the justice system.  

"This King will make sure the culprit will go to trial.  When found guilty, this King will give the culprit to King Takeshi as reparations and do what he wills against the culprit."  

Eli bows lower and steps back to let King Nao to proceed with the investigation.  

"So far we are checking the food and drinks for poison."  King Nao told Eli.  "So far we've found nothing."  

Eli nods and watches as all the food present were cleared of poison.  

"My this servant speak?"  Eli asks as he steps forward. 

"You may."  King Nao said as he gestured Eli to step forward.  

"Where did my Lady sit?"  Eli asked.  

"Here."  The Shadow Guard who stood behind the chair she was sitting at spoke.  

"The food and drinks have been tested?"  Eli asks. 

"Yes.  Nothing came up positive."  He said.  

"And the cups? Where they tested?"  Eli asks. "Why is there two tea cups on of the table on her spot?"   

Lisa froze as she watches on, fear creeping up her spine.  Somehow she felt scared for her life all of a sudden.  

The Shadow King tested the first tea cup.  No trace of poisoning were found.  Then he tested the second tea cup and immediately, the traces of poison were found.  The Shadow Guard's poison expert quickly stood next to the first Shadow Guard who tested the tea cup and upon inspection, the poison expert let out a heavy sigh.  

"What is it?"  King Nao asks impatiently.  

"Its the Iron Spider Poison."  The expert said.  "A common poison that anyone could make or purchase. The Iron Spider Poison attacks the respiratory system in the body, shutting down the organs slowly.  The blood that Lady Lihua spat out, was her body trying to fight the poison.  Her body was trying to cough out the poison, but didn't succeed."  

"Is there an antidote?"  Eli asks.  

"The Iron Spider Poison has only one antidote.  The Iron Spider they use to make the poison is the antidote to the poison.  Using another iron spider as the antidote does not work.  Only that specific Iron Spider can cure it. " 

Eli took a paper from his pocket and wrote down the poison that Lady Lihua had been affected with and how to care it.  He pushed his qi into the paper and the paper turned into a bird.  The bird flap its wing and left the palace making its way to deliver his message to Takeshi.  

"So, if we don't find the culprit, we don't find the antidote."  Eli said.  

King Nao frowned.  "Why were there two tea cups in front of Lady Lihua?"  

Lisa's eyes widen as she recognized the tea cup that was tested positive for poison.  It was the tea cup she used to ask for Lihua's forgiveness.  Lihua accepted the tea in front of everyone and drank it.  It was only after she drank it that she was poisoned.  

Lisa immediately came forward and knelt in front of the King and Queen.  If she explained her side of the story, they would understand that she had nothing to do with the poisoning.  

"King Nao, Queen Yuki."  Lisa began.  "The extra tea cup came from this Concubine.  This Concubine offered a tea of forgiveness and peace between Lady Lihua and this Concubine.  Lady Lihua accepted the tea in forgiveness and stated that we shall begin anew.  The tea and the tea cup came from this Concubine, but this Concubine had nothing to do with Lady Lihua's poisoning.  This Concubine is innocent!" 

"Just admit that you poisoned your Imperial Aunt under false pretenses!"  Queen Yuki shouted as she banged the table.