Chapter Eight

When I woke up I felt wide awake almost instantly. I could feel Logan lying behind me, his arms wrapped around me and my head resting on his chest. I wanted to close my eyes and go back to sleep, but I had questions that needed answers, “Logan? Are Bella and Brian okay? Are you okay?”

“Relax, everyone is fine. Your aunt and uncle kicked your parents out when they hurt you. What happened?” He asked in a hard voice that was coated with curiosity. I turned so I could see his face and noticed how angry he was. He gently stroked my cheek with his thumb, making me flinch in pain; it was the cheek that Jared had hit. Logan looked at me expectantly, waiting for me to tell him what happened last night.

“I came home and my real parents were talking to my aunt and uncle. I agreed to talk to them alone and they… they told me they got in some legal trouble in Hawaii. Then they said that I have to marry the police man’s son in exchange for their release. I told them no and Jared hit me.” I paused for a moment, watching as Logan’s eyes flashed in anger. “He told me to have more respect for them. I stupidly said no and Eliza did this burning spell on me.” I shivered as I remembered the pain. Logan tightened his arms around me and buried his face in my hair.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry that I wasn’t there and that I couldn’t help you sooner.” He mumbled into my hair. His words made another question bubble to my lips.

“How did you get there so fast? You came in at the same time Brian and Bella.”

 Logan finally moved back a little so I could see his face. “They called and told me to come over as soon as they left the kitchen. I came right away and they told me what was going on. Then you screamed and…” He trailed off. I already knew the rest.

“Thank you,” I whispered. Logan gave me a small smile in return. I sighed, as much as I would love to stay like this all day, I had to go home and talk with my aunt and uncle. “I should get home.” I said, not moving from where I was lying.

Logan only held me tighter, “What if I don’t want to let you go?”  

A smile came to my lips, “I guess I would have no other choice than to stay.”

Logan smiled at my answer and kissed me softly. He pulled away after a minute and sighed, “I have work in an hour. So you probably should be going home. If you need anything, call me.”

“Okay,” I agreed, getting off the bed. “I’ll see you later.”    

“Bye Princess,” He said, walking me to the door.

I waved and hurried back to my house. I walked in to see Brian and Bella on the couch reading. As I came in, Bella’s head snapped up and she smiled upon seeing me, closing her book instantly. “Camille, come here.” She said, standing up and offering me a hug.

“Are you alright?” Brian asked me as I hugged my aunt.

I nodded and Bella said, “I want to teach you some defensive magic just in case…”

I nodded again, showing that I understood her reasoning, “Can I change first?”  

“Of course you can. Come down to the basement when you’re done.”

And for the next few weeks I put all my magic into learning shields and defensive techniques. It was surprising that my parents hadn’t been in contact, but I was thankful that they seemed to have disappeared.

Two days before the last day of school I got a shocking letter. I was getting the mail when I saw a letter that was addressed to me. Opening it I saw that it was my acceptance letter to the school in New York that I’d been hoping to get into. I grinned as I reread it for the tenth time. I ran inside my house and shrieked, “I got in!” Bella looked up from her phone and smiled at me.