chapter seven

Esme could only see the vague outline of the intruder beating his way through the tunnels and tried to align her shot up with where his heart would be. However, it was hard for her to keep up with all of the turns that he was making and occasionally got her shot located on one of the guards that kept finding him and being beaten up. The only thing that was really helpful was the fact that he was gradually getting closer and closer to both her and Clint.

"I want eyes up high. With a gun. Now!" Coulson called through the comms.

"Way ahead of you, Coulson," Esme replied.

"Colors and I are already up in the nest," Clint finished.

At this point both Esme and Clint were trying to find a way to get a clear shot at the man, taking a little bit to find an accurate way to anticipate his movements and how fast they would need to move their rifle and bow respectively. It didn't take them long to find a groove to the shot, and so they waited for the order.

"Barton. Taylor. Talk to me," Coulson radioed in.

"Do you want me to slow him down sir?" the archer asked, his bow poised, "Or are you sending in more guys for him to beat up?"

"I'll let you know," was the curt reply.

Suddenly, one of the guards that the intruder was fighting tackled him out of the tunnels, allowing for a clearer shot, "Do I have the order, Coulson?" Esme asked, completely serious.

Esme glared through the rain, watching as the man beat up yet another guard and started back toward the facility and the 0-8-4, "You better call it Coulson," she tried again, "Because I'm starting to root for this guy."

The man ripped through the plastic containing the 0-8-4's area and only to stop directly in front of it, "Last chance sir," Clint told him.

"Wait," Coulson stopped them, "I want to see this."

Esme rolled her eyes, but kept aim just in case, an attentive gaze on the intruder. He seemed to smile from what she could see, the raindrops pooling on her eyelashes. He wrapped his hand around the handle of the hammer like thing and pulled. It was clear to the brunette that he had realized that he couldn't lift it, tugging harder. The intruder moved to try pulling it up with two hands rather than one. Esme didn't think that the man would have any chance of lifting the 0-8-4, as even their strongest machinery couldn't lift the thing.

Lightning flashed overhead as he strained to pull it up, and the agent kept her shot aligned with his heart. Not soon after, he fell to his knees, having given up,  and looked so disheartened that Esme had half a mind to feel sorry for him.

A little while afterward, Coulson came over the comms again, "All right, show's over. Ground units move in."

Both Esme and Clint lowered their weapons, watching as the intruder did nothing to stop the agents apprehending him, seeming broken and lost as he sat there in the rain.

I hope that you all have had a wonderful week thus far. This chapter is a little bit shorter as I've been sick all week and have just written all of this today, however it does have some important Thor plot points. I hope that you all have a fantastic day and I'll see you all next Friday with chapter eight.
~ Aria