chapter ten

"Thank you," Selvig replied, seeming surprised.

"This way, Dr. Selvig," Esme gestured for him to follow her.

"Of course- uh- Agent Taylor," the old man stuttered, looking around uncertainly.

As the brunette led them along, it was quiet, except for the fact that agents milled around them. Suddenly, Clint dropped down from the rafters, barely startling Esme or the other agents around them. Dr. Selvig, however, jumped in fright and clutched at his heart.

"Dr. Selvig," the agent said, amused, "This is Agent Barton."

"Doctor," the archer acknowledged before turning back to Esme, "What's up with the buff guy?"

"His name is Donald Blake," the brunette told him, "Dr. Selvig is here to take him home."

"Coulson approved that?" Clint asked, disbelieving.

"Yeah," Esme agreed, "He just had to ask. Coulson gave the order without even waiting for the security check."

"Huh."

The rest of the way was actually silent, but the sniper couldn't help but notice the tension and nervousness of the man walking stiffly beside her. When they got to the room that they had been keeping 'Donald Blake' in, the doctor seemed be washed of some of the nervousness, but clearly not all of it.

"Donny, Donny, Donny!" Dr. Selvig exclaimed, rushing over to his coworker, "There you are!"

Said man looked up, confused. Esme wasn't sure if it was because he was still under the influence of something, or if he genuinely didn't know what was happening or who Selvig was.

"It's going to be all right, my friend. Come on, I'm taking you home."

"We're taking you home," Esme corrected, "Dr. Selvig and I are, that is."

She watched as the blond looked around wildly as both she and Selvig led him out the door, "I'll see you later Clint!"

"Don't forget to actually give Darcy her iPod back this time!" the archer called after her.

"What?" Esme exclaimed, stuffing her hand in her jacket pocket... only to be greeted by the feeling of a small iPod, "Damnit."

The brunette sighed, but decided that she would meet up with Darcy soon enough. As Dr. Selvig lead his companion along, she followed them, rolling her eyes when the oldest of the three of them stole Jane's notebook back from the pile of equipment that it had been on.

"Agent Taylor!"

Esme turned around to find Perkins standing there with what seemed to be a breathalyzer and drug test report. She took it from him quickly.

"Thanks."

The brunette ran to catch up with the two men, who were in the middle of opening the doors to an SUV. The sniper was about to jump into the back seat when Coulson's voice rang out,

"Just keep him away from the bars."

"I will!" Both Esme and Dr. Selvig responded, causing them to look at each other in disbelief for a moment.

Once the three of them were seated in the van, Donald turned to the doctor, "Where are we going?"

Esme looked down at the report in her grasp.

"To get a drink."

No alcohol detected.

No steroids detected.

Selvig's story just fell apart.

Okay, so I partially fixed the whole, 'brought the iPod but didn't give it to her' plot hole. Now Esme just has to give it to Darcy... Also, I posted a new addition to this series in the form of a Peter Parker fanfiction. So I would really appreciate it if you would all go check that out, as it will be posting every Wednesday. Anyway, I hope that you all have a wonderful week and I'll see you all again next Friday with chapter eleven.
~ Aria