chapter one

Esme gotten the alert that she was going on a mission to New Mexico. Apparently Agent Coulson had requested both her and Agent Barton's presence. She hadn't been informed yet of what exactly what was in New Mexico, but she had been told that it was a 0-8-4, which she hadn't ever been assigned to before. The brunette had been assigned to multiple missions to gather information, more than she could count as a field agent (half of which she led), a few she was on backup with her sniper rifle, and a only one that required her to go undercover for more than a year.

Both she and Clint were on route to the New Mexican desert, "Are you going to tell me what the 0-8-4 is, Barton? You just grabbed me and said we were being deployed."

"A hammer," he replied, flicking a switch on the control pad of the quinjet that Esme was helping him pilot.

"What's so special about a hammer?"

"No one can move it, Colors," the agent responded, smirking at her.

The brunette let out a laugh, "Must be one hell of a hammer."

"So, what do they want us to do about it?"

"Security detail. Eyes in the sky."

"Cool..." Esme drawled, checking their altitude.

Clint hummed in agreement beside her, ending their conversation in a comfortable silence. The flight was silent for almost three hours before the brunette spoke again,

"How's Nat doing? I haven't seen her in a while."

"She took an undercover job at Stark Industries," the agent beside her stated, "Haven't heard from her in a few days."

And so the silence continued.

"So... How's your romantic doing?" Clint asked.

"Pretty normal, I think," Esme shrugged, flicking another switch, "Had a bit of a scare the other day, though."

Bit of a scare was somewhat of an understatement as her soulmate had suddenly become terrified as if they were in life threatening danger. Esme had been asleep when it had happened, causing her to wake up with fright. The feeling lasted for a while, slowly waning away as the brunette sent as much love and comfort as she could through the bond. She just hoped that they wouldn't be in anymore danger any time soon.

"Scare?" the agent chuckled, "When I came to get you from your apartment, Mrs. Holloway said you'd almost woken up the entire hall when you screamed."

"She was exaggerating just a bit, but, yeah..." Esme admitted, "Not really that normal. They've been on edge."

"...Really it's been since you said you got the call."

"Really?" Clint's eyebrows rose a little bit, "Do you think they've got anything to do with it?"

"Nah," Esme shook her head, "things like this happen all the time."

"To your soulmate?"

"No, the people being scared part, in general."

"Okay then," Clint went quiet after that and so did the brunette, both content with the silence as they flew the jet toward New Mexico.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter. I hope you all have a great week and I'll see you again next Friday with chapter two. :)
~ Aria