Episode 17: Secret of the Limestone Cave

Of all the feelings to have during this journey, this was one feeling I never thought I was going to have to get used to – staring down a dangerous adversary because my life depended on defeating them. Or escaping, but that wasn't an option right now, and that was the fact that was driving this feeling out of control for me.

The Chikorita, as Lucca called it, was clearly a grass type with a dangerous advantage over me. He hadn't held back on using Razor Leaf to take out the knights guarding the entrance to the Limestone Cave either, so it was obvious that I needed to pull out all the stops in trying to best him.

"So you found the Pikachu you were looking for. Now what, what's your business with her?" Lucca began, approaching. Chikorita's face tightened, and his feet stretched further outwards.

"Move," he responded firmly.

"Okay, that's how you want it to be," Lucca dismissed, shaking his head and drawing his swords. "I'm all about talking and reason, but if you don't want to try, then at least don't expect me to let you hurt anyone."

Chikorita growled, clearly trying to control his anger and failing at it. "It's none of your business. Let me through, after that Pikachu!"

"... Really, Brine, what's this guy's deal with you? He's got a shorter fuse than me," Megan whispered.

"No idea. I've tried asking too, but he never tells me. He just follows me around and fights at every chance he gets," she groaned, slumped forward.

"So he's a creepy stalker?" Shelly wondered. The rest of us flinched at how loudly he spoke, invoking a final straw from our enemy.

"Creepy stalker? Is that what you see me as?" he raised his voice, rearing back for an attack. Lucca was the first to react, spinning his swords around as quickly as he could. Chikorita's leaf flashed with a swing of his head, releasing a multitude of jagged leaves like the ones that hit the knights earlier. They flew through the air like darts, but every single one stopped at Lucca's swords, getting shredded to bits before touching us.

"Looks like there are a lot more criminals in the world than I thought that don't care about loosely using Pokémon attacks," I complained, flicking the scarf off my sword. "Lucca's not scared of the type disadvantage at all... I have to be just like that, too!"

"Why would I hesitate on using Pokémon attacks against you? You shining warriors have Angel to just replace it all," Chikorita replied. I flinched and hesitated, making him smile cockily. "It doesn't take much to learn who you are."

Mimia started barking at him, choosing to attack next with an approach. He had to put in a bit of work with dodging more Razor Leaves to get close enough, but once he was, he had no trouble overpowering the Chikorita. He tackled the grass type to the ground and then smashed his front paws down into its stomach, making Chikorita cough and flip out. Mimia was booted away, but he had already left his mark on the foe.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do much or that this battle going to be over quickly, but Chikorita showed off what he was really capable of and made things difficult. Once he got back to his feet, he dashed away, disappearing from my sight in a flash.

"Ah, what?" Lucca gasped first.

"Oh, aim carefully!" Brine warned, showing that she was holding onto an orb of water. Megan was ready to attack as well, but was holding back by the disappearance of our enemy. Shelly was well away from the battle completely, but was watching on with hands pressed together cutely.

Just as suddenly as he disappeared, Chikorita reappeared and began to zigzag across the ground towards Mimia. However, it was all done at the speed of a blur, giving Mimia about a second before he was hit and knocked to the ground. Chikorita swung his leaf around forcefully the moment he stopped moving as well, releasing several more waves of leaf darts in random directions. I was caught off guard and barely braced for them, and judging by the cries and curses of the others, so were they.