Episode 27: To the lightworks

"Did.... Did I just hear that right?" Megan whispered, speaking slowly. Shelly's shout for a divorce left the room in silence, the kind that had everyone frozen in place and unable to close their mouths. Seeing that, as well as Megan's whisper being the only thing to break the silence, she charged towards Shelly and pulled him back, yanking him into whatever empty space there was in the room.

"Me-Megan-" he stumbled.

"The hell are you doing now? You're married to a princess, you shouldn't be-"

"I'm doing what I want! You're not going to stop me!" he cried, pulling his arm away from her. Megan was left in the same shocked state as the rest of us now, allowing him to reposition himself in front of the throne. There, he knelt down politely, bravely staring right up at an annoyed Queen Gladys.

"Mama, I have a confession to make... I'm sorry this is so sudden, But it's the truth. I ran away from the island because I didn't want to be with Elise anymore!" he began. "Whilst I was here, I dreamt of the outside world, of what exploring Heroica is like. When I left, I got to experience that first hand, to learn what it was truly like to explore the world, just as I dreamt of doing this whole time. I've made friends and enemies, I've helped Pokémon, and I've learnt so much... but I know for sure now, I can no longer protect my friends if I'm bound to Elise on this island. So I wish to divorce her."

"How dare you!" Gladys boomed, standing up out of her throne. "Those years away from my kingdom have caused you to forget your place, boy. The princess chose you! And I am your surrogate mother. You do not have a choice in that affair!"

"What?" I gasped, whilst the others leaned forward.

"But Mama, I can't do it! I thought I could if I came back but... I just don't feel it. Elise isn't..." he struggled to argue.

"Whether you like it or not, Elise chose you to be her partner, thus making you the potential ruler of this island in the future. I did not use all of these fourteen years raising you to be a king, just to have you disrespect it all by throwing it away for childish, peasant dream!" she warned. "Your request is overruled. And if you dare to raise such a topic again, you will see consequences for it. That is my final word on the matter."

"But Mama-!" he started again, choking upon her face tightening. The Tsareena definitely looked angrier than usual, practically fuming, and that was enough to keep me quiet too. I let it go with a light breath out, ensuring that I wasn't heard.

"Well that's pretty stuck up, don't you think? Why should it be up to you what he does with his life?" Brine argued anyway.

"... Guards," Gladys ordered, pointing at us. In an instant, the few knights in the room readied their weapons and blocked the way offensively, backing us into each other. "When you are bound to royalty, your personal wishes do not matter. What matters is the will of your Pokémon. And it is of utmost importance that this kingdom be ruled by a couple, rather than one... Take them away. And prevent their entry to the throne room for the remainder of the day."

"Brine, Shelly..." I whispered, exchanging unsure looks with them. They didn't look very different to how I felt, and so we left it at that and allowed the guards to escort us, leaving Elise behind. The Steenee hadn't moved since Shelly's declaration, silently whimpering with both her hands pressed together.

"... My daughter, you needn't worry. It is a mother's knowledge, of a phase that all boys his age go through," Gladys sighed, tiredly settling back down into her throne. "Shelly will remain your partner, and he will be happy with it."

"That's not... but what..." Elise shuddered.

"I can't claim to understand your pain however, that he must leave the island for his shining warrior quest... I can only ask you to be as patient and understanding as is necessary," she continued, making Elise sigh.