Episode 26: The shining warriors' true role

"I don't understand... this is literally impossible," Angel breathed out, blindly shaking her head at the scene before her. The Chandelure was slumped against the wall weakly, covered from top to bottom in smouldered patches. Its flames had long since died out, and its face was barely visible on its front, scrunched up and unmoving. "To think that one of you could use a mystic arte, not only without my help, but without even possessing the amulet!"

The others ignored her thoughtless rambling, all gathered around Crystal, who was also a smouldering mess on the floor. She was in more critical a condition than Chandelure had been left in however, burnt all over so badly that her fur was crusty and discoloured. Shelly was leaned directly over her, using one of his ancient artes to release healing magic into her.

"Is it working?" Elise dared to ask, holding her chest. Shelly coughed a response, putting in more effort into his move. His magic was beautiful, surrounding himself and his target in a pale, turquoise, circular symbol that emanated light off the ground. A pleasant sound echoed faintly from it too, but the whole show failed to have any clear effect on the poor Piplup. Seeing that, the Steenee got over her hesitation to stand at Shelly's side, where she knelt down and laid a hand on Crystal's chest.

"Let me help, I can use synthesis," she informed, adding to Shelly's glow with her own green gleam.

"Please..." Lucca whispered, clutching his swords tightly. He, Brine, Megan and Mimia watched on anxiously, barely able to sit still. Seeing that, Angel composed herself at last, nodding to herself before fluttering down to them.

"You're wasting your energy. Your moves won't revive her," she informed.

"I don't believe that!" Shelly snapped instantly, grunting from increased effort.

"You saw her get killed, the amulet hasn't even appeared! It's over, you lot," Angel argued.

"What's with you? What the hell's that attitude about?" Megan shouted. "What, you think I'm just gonna sit and accept that my friend just died that easily? Just like that, that suddenly, out of freaking nowhere?"

"You two, don't give up. If there's even the slightest chance that she's still with us..." Lucca urged.

"I know because it was guaranteed to happen!" Angel cried. "Are you guys going to listen to me or what?"

"I don't wanna hear that my friend just died! Why should I listen to that dribble?" Megan replied, sounding like she was going to cry. "C'mon Crystal, I know you're just faking it now. You're stronger than me, and a thing like that wouldn't kill me. So get up already, get up and prove Angel wrong!"

But Crystal didn't move an inch, even with Shelly and Elise's combined efforts to heal her. Her body didn't look as decayed as it was earlier, but the way the two continued to use their moves implied they knew much more of situation.

"Shelly... she's..." Elise whimpered reluctantly. Shelly struggled to reply, appearing worn out. But he carried on anyway, shutting his eyes to focus everything he had on his healing arte. "Shelly, if you keep going, you'll-"

"I don't care, she's got to-" he forcibly whimpered, suddenly stopping due to lack of strength. He slowly fell forward over her, clearly tearing up right into her chest. Elise stopped her synthesis as well, going quiet.

"Guys!" Megan cried at them. She silenced upon hearing Shelly's tears, retracting her words and movement to allow him to get a hold of himself. Realising that that wasn't going to happen, she growled again. "What... what happened?"

"She's... cold..." Shelly slowly replied on top of his light wails. "Her body is cold... and her heart never started again..."

"Damn it!" Lucca flipped out, tossing his swords so hard into the floor that they bounced with a loud clang. He spun around at the same time, burying his face into his hands. "You can't be serious! This can't be real!"