chapter 45

Hailey is standing in the mirror in her room on the top floor. She takes off her bandage around her forehead. It has yellow pus coming out through the dried black blood. Her forehead is a little swollen. She touches it gently feeling how crusty it is.
Damn bastards.
She doesn't think it looks that bad. It is only skin.
A knock on the door makes her jump a little. "Come in." The door opens to find Daniel standing there with his machete on his hip. "How are you today?" She smiled.
He closes the door behind him and sits on the bed. "Im feeling good. Thought I would come check on you."
"I am ok, thank you." Hailey replies getting her face closer to the mirror. She begins to pick at the scab.
Daniel looks away from that scene staring outside. "Do you want to go out with me. Like." He chokes on his words. "Just go walk the streets with me."
Now he has her attention. "Are you sure you want to go out with me? I'd like to go on a walk though." Looks at Daniel who is looking outside.
He goes silent for a second. "I would like to go out with you. Just don't know if you want to go out with me." Then stares her in the eyes. Her beautiful ocean blue eyes.
"Sure. I don't see why not. It could be fun. Look at Jack and Marcy. Those to are way to close for each other. Im surprised they didn't get it on yet." She begins to laugh and looks for a pair of street clothes. "You don't mind if I change in front of you do ya?"
"No, I used to live with a house full of sisters and a nudist mother. That was disgusting though."
"Ow man, that is nasty. I feel sorry for you about that last part. Don't worry you won't see anything from me." She says throwing on a long sleeve.
Daniel doesn't want to take any chances of her finding him looking so he turns toward the window. There he can see her reflection. Hopefully she don't notice.
"You know I can see you checking me out in the window, right?" Hailey says looking at him.
He starts to blush. Damnit. "Im not looking" Lie.
"Ok. Your a terrible liar."
"No I am not." He starts to grin still looking outside.
"Ok you can look now. Also I can tell when you are lieing. So don't try to hide it from me."
He looks over at her and said ok. The two of them start out the door. A smile grew on her face.
Daniel looks over at her. Something about her gets his attention. At first he didn't notice her. Didn't really think much of her. Not like that, only friends anyway.
Hailey feels the same way. She is only going out with him because she has nothing better to do. He is nice and it could be interesting. She sees him as a friend at most part. Ow, well.

Xian is leaning on the railing with Gabby looking out at all the other little kids having fun and everything. The two of them had already checked on their garden amd picked out all the weeds. Now they get to relax. There's so many people here there is not much work for lots of people to work on.
Sky and Jeremy are always working with other kids in their expertise. They never take a break. Jermey is in the labs trying to figure out a cure and or at least find a weakness. Sky is building a gate on the roads to stop bastards from getting in. Lots of foot soldiers are out protecting him. So there is another unit that never gets a break.
Jack and Marcy are with the builders. George is cooking in the kitchen with Fred. Zach is out in'n about with some new friends hes made. Most likely vandalizing houses with the army's name called R.D. or just amazing pieces of graffiti.
"Gabby?" Xian says resting her hands on her arms.
"Yea?"
"Let's go hangout with the other kids."
Gabby got up off the railing. "If you want to we can. Lets play some kickball."
That got Xians attention. "Yea, lets go make teams." She said leaping off the side of the school.
"Xian!" Gabby cried out thinking she just jumped to her death. She didn't. A shrub broke her fall. "Nevermind, I just can't stand people doing that."