Chapter 4

"A ball?" Shirayuki wondered. "That sounds fun!"
"I want to escort you," complained Zen. "But brother said no. The lady I escort must be from nobility..."
"Well that's alright Zen-"
"But I want you to go, Shirayuki!"
"She can attend with Obi," suggested Mitsuhide. "The aides are allowed to attend and Obi can escort her."

You noticed Obi gleam brightly at the suggestion. Zen thought about it, obviously not wanting Shirayuki to be with another man besides him. Figuring it's his only chance to have her near him, he finally agreed.
"But I still need to escort someone," Zen muttered then stared at Kiki.
"No way," she rejected before he could ask.
"But Kiki-"
"I said no. I was your escort last time."
"But I don't want to escort some other lady in town-"
You were dazed during their conversation, so you weren't paying much attention. All of a sudden, you felt all eyes on you.

You turned towards them and noticed Zen's pleading eyes towards you. Your eyebrows furrowed.
"No way!" You exclaimed. "No!"
"(Y/N) you're my last hope!"
"I refuse!"
"You owe me!"
"For what?!"
"I don't want to play this card, but I'm desperate. As your prince then!" Zen demanded.
You sighed.
"Fine.."
"Thank you," he smiled innocently as the others sweatdropped.
"But I think you have to tell Shirayuki the truth about us, Zen," you tell him.
"Wh-What?!" He cried, blushing.

Shirayuki and Obi looked at the two of you confused.
"Better tell her yourself instead of hearing it from the people at the ball," you tell Zen.
Zen gritted his teeth.
"Oh alright. Shirayuki.. (Y/N) and I... Well... We were once engaged."
"Huh?!" Obi shouted in surprise.
"E-Engaged?!" Shirayuki gasped.

"But it's over now!" Zen reassured her. "Obviously."
"No way I'd want to marry a brat like you anyways," you mumbled.
"Why you-" Zen muttered angrily.
"Wh-What happened?" Shirayuki wonder, catching everyone in surprise. 
"We both refused," you tell her. "We were childhood friends. It was just too weird to suddenly be engaged."

"It took a lot of effort though.." Zen sighed, remembering the time.
Shirayuki was quiet for a very long time. Zen even seemed as if he was starting to fret for her response. Suddenly, she smiled happily at the both of you.
"Thank you both for telling me!"
Zen let out a sigh of relief and hugged her tightly. You sighed as well and smiled at her.
"I hope the ball will be fun!" the red head exclaimed happily.

The night of the ball...
"Mistress, are you ready?" Obi called out from outside the door.
The door opened, revealing Shirayuki in a floor-length white ball gown. Obi gaped at her in awe.

"Mistress, you look beautiful!"
Shirayuki blushed as she took his hand.
"Thank you, Obi. You look quite handsome yourself!"
Obi smiled as he adjusted his formal coat. He led her down the hallway and towards the grand ball room where Mitsuhide and Kiki were waiting in their formal soldier attire.

"How come I had to dress up?" Obi whined.
"Because you're escorting Shirayuki," stated Mitsuhide with a smile. "Let's get inside. His highness Zen and Lady (Y/N) are about to appear."

"The buttons on your coat are mismatched, Zen," you pointed out as the two of you waited for the signal to enter.
"Eh?!"
"Calm down. Here let me help."

"My, it's been awhile since I've seen the two of you together!"

You and Zen turned to find First Prince Izana standing with his soon-to-be bride Haki.
"Brother!"
"Iza- er your highness," you bowed.
"I see Kiki turned down your offer this year, Zen?" Izana laughed.
Zen turned bright red.
"I volunteered," you piped up.
"Oh? Is that so?" Izana smiled. "That's no fun."

"Your highness, it's your turn."

"Oh! See you two inside."
You and Zen watched as the two disappeared into the grand ball room. Zen let out a sigh.
"Thanks."
"I think you've embarrassed yourself enough this week?" You mumbled.
"You're still ruthless as ever," smiled Zen.
You smiled back at him.
"What are friends for?"