Chapter 3

A/N; The prologue and chapter 3 have italicized parts in another point of view. This is meant to be thoughts. This book has two main characters and after Marcus is introduced there are chapters and parts in his POV, all chapters do start in some way as to easily understand which character is being followed at that time.

After my shift as Roxy, I head back to my site get some rest. I am suppose to be meeting Sally in the morning. Sally was so mad when I told her I couldn't go shopping with her today but we made a girls day for Sunday when I wasn't working. Sally thinks I am turning 15 and not old enough to work but is great when I say I am busy, she doesn't keep asking what I am doing or where I am going, and I don't have to lie. Sally is the perfect friend, she never gets mad when I cant answer her questions or hedge my words. She knows I have secrets and once when we were in Grade 7 she just looked at me after catching me in another lie and said that it was ok, she will be there when I am ready to tell her what I am hiding. I promised her I wouldn't lie anymore, it was so huge and mature of her. And with the exception of never correcting the Aunt Gretta situation I have never lied again. She doesn't ask a lot of things she probably want to but is happy now that I can be myself with her. The perfect friend.

I didn't get on the transit tonight as it was too late to catch a bus this direction. I see a clear road in front of me now to the pathway into the valley. I slowly trudge along, my feet killing me and my mind on my sleeping bag.

"Did you seriously flirt with Grace!" I hear loud and clear coming from my left just as I had stepped onto the sidewalk at the end of the cul-de-sac.

"Josh!" I screech. His black sedan was parked on the side street and dark, everything was so quiet and I was just so tired I didn't notice anyone standing beside it. Thats how people get hurt, I should know better. "What are you doing here?" Its after midnight as I stop three doors from Aunt Gretta's dark house. Thank goodness he didn't wait and see me pass her place. How is this going to work? I am exhausted after the 45 minute walk from work here and I still have almost six minutes to go. "You almost gave me a heart attack."

Josh walks up, he is so tall, over six feet like his dad. His suit jacket from earlier making his shoulders look even wider and stronger than ever. His good looks and strong chin are almost marble statue perfect. The look in his eye is pure anger. "Well Roxy, thought I should just check and see you were ok. Last I heard they didn't let little girls work." His accusation clear, he was around for a few dodge the question rounds his parents had with me, yet never seemed to listen or care. I guess I got that wrong.

"Thats why I didn't give them my real name." Too tired and shocked to make anything up on the spot. I mean Josh doesn't know my real name either but I wasn't going to point that out. "What do you want?"

"Why are you lying? Why are you working? You just finished grade 9. How long have you been working there? No one even looked at you being so young. And the makeup? You almost looked like an adult?"

"Josh I am not your little sister. I am fine, I am going home, its late. Good night." I try to just out anger him. Be strong, not sleepy.

"Not until you answer my questions." Great, guess he really is fully awake enough to try and have a whole conversation.

I sigh, I hate lying to the Prontis family. It just feels horrid. "Josh I can't. I just can't." What lie would work anyway. I knew this would go bad as soon as I saw him tonight. I was just hoping he would forget about it. I mean I never did anything bad to his family. Would he really mess up my life over something so silly as a job.

"Why did they call you Roxy?" Sounds like such a simple question. He is trying to offer me an out, going soft and thoughtful. Damn he is Sally's brother, I don't lie to her, I haven't for years now. I love not having to pretend, they are my perfect family, what everyone should aspire to.