Part 10

He stumbled on the three stairs that led him in the hospital building. He felt sick, weak. Holding the railing tightly, he straightened himself. He needs to see her, talk to her. He knew the alcohol was still playing havoc on his senses, and he should wait till he is sober to meet her. But he cannot wait. He needs to see her now! Maybe this way it was better. This way the rational part of his mind, which has a strong connection to his past won't dominate him. He don't want the past between them, but he knew he can't stop his past from coming between them, for dominating him. But now he wasn't being rational. He didn't want to. He was needy, desperate. For Khushi. For his baby.

He walked through the corridor, carrying himself towards Khushi's room. As he reached the room, he stood there for a minute, staring at the wooden door. What is he going to tell her to convince her to come with him? To give him one more chance? No....not one more chance ...last chance. He will beg her to give him one last chance. He sounded like a broken record to himself. How many times he had promised her to be a good husband to her, and broken his promise? Why would she believe him again? He has broken her trust every time she has entrusted him with it.

Before he can dwell more on how to proceed, the door of Khushi's room opened, and there she stood. Clad in a pair of faded jeans and red T-shirt, she looked young. Too young to have married a ruthless man like him. Too young to get pregnant. Too young to have gone a heartbreak. Something sharp twisted in his chest. It painted to look at her broken self.

"Khushi...." he whispered.

"We have had enough of your drama, Arnav... leave now..." Shyam said as he stood beside his sister, supporting her.

"Khushi, come home with me please.." He pleaded, not bothering to look at Shyam, his whole attention on Khushi.

Khushi tried to fight back the tears. He had left the room without uttering a word after she had announced her pregnancy. So what is he doing here now? What does he want now?

"Arnav, I said leave.." Shyam said.

"I WILL NOT!!" His voice thundered in the empty corridor. "I am talking to my wife, stay out of it."

" I have stayed out enough, Arnav." Shyam left his sister's side and stood in front of Arnav. "And look what happened. You don't deserve her, Arnav. You bloody don't deserve her!"

And Arnav saw red. He charged at Shyam, punching him square on his face.

Shyam retaliated immediately, punching his nose. Arnav staggered against the wall.

"No!" Khushi shouted. "Bhai!"

Shyam looked down at the man he had once called his good friend. "Stay away from my Khushi..." he warned him, and took Khushi's hand in his. "Come, Khushi.."

Khushi looked at Arnav, who was struggling to stand up. His nose was bleeding. She cannot leave him like this. Pulling her hand away from her brother's, she went and knelt in front of Arnav.