Chapter 31 The Moon Ceremony

After I told Jack what I saw he got some food for me, but I really wasn't hungry so I didn't eat. Jack asked if I wanted to go horseback riding. I just shook my head at his offer and curled up in a chair. Jack gave me a painful smile, "Lily don't worry about what you saw, it isn't real. It's all in your head you're just worried about the Blue Moon Ceremony tonight that's all." He reassured me. No, no it's not all in my head. What I saw felt so real, so certain. How can that be in my head, it has to be real... it-it...

"Lily?" Jack's voice woke me from my thoughts. I looked at him, "Did you say something?" Jack sighed and pulled me in for a hug. "No, it's nothing." I whispered. I just don't know why I'm so on edge today.

~~~*^*~~~

It was almost time for the Blue Moon Ceremony so I went back to my hut to get ready. As I was doing so I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in." I called from over my shoulder as I was braiding my hair. Jack silently walked in and came into view, he had a blue tunic on that was accented with gold and light blue pants. His hair was braided on the sides and met in a single braid in the back with the rest of his hair flowing freely. His Sword was in it's hilt and his dagger on his waist.

"How are you feeling?" He asked with a voice full of concern.

"Fine." I answered, To be honest I was very anxious.

Jack sighed, "I'm sorry to have to put you through all of this but we really need to go." He held out his arm for me and I took it.

It was nightfall already, I looked up at the stars hoping they would give me some guidence. The stars didn't give me comfort, as I looked at them I saw flashes of faces. All were women and I can only assume they are the other maidens that died on a night like this one. Who will join them next?

Jack saw me looking at the sky and spoke.

"My father says that when a maiden dies she turns into a star."

I nodded, then his eyes met mine. I thought if I stared at him long enough my thoughts would transfer to him and he would understand why I'm terrified right now. Jack just smiled a sad smile at me before he looked away as we passed the main temple entrance and walked up the side stairs. The whole village was standing around the top of the temple, in the center was a large yin yang symbol which no one dared to get close to. As I looked around at the villagers I wondered who would die next. Jack took his place to his father's right with me still clinging to his arm. It was time for the ceremony to begin.

"My fellow tribesman, we have waited every full moon for this ceremony. We need a pure maiden in order to defeat the Dark Moon Tribe and to take back our island!" The villagers yelled empowered by his words, I stole a glance at Jack who was smiling but I could tell it was forced. I felt sick, how can these people want to be sacrificed so badly?

Chief Burumun gestured to a door on the Temple that I can only assume is another way inside.

"Our sacrifice to the moon!" He yelled.

I girl still in her teens emerged, she wore a flowy white gown. She had brown hair- oh my gosh that's Gretta. I looked at Jack in shock who meet my gaze he was just as surprised as I was.

"Gretta is a traitor to our tribe, she begged to be the sacrifice so I decided to grant her her wish. After all she did guard my son for years I trusted her. Even through her betrayal she deserves her last wish to be granted."

The crowd grew silent. No one deserved this kind of death, not even a traitor. Greta looked up at Jack and smiled, then she glared at me. Even if she hates me this isn't right. The blue moon rose as Gretta stepped into the giant yin yang symbol. The moon started to glow and the circle glowed in response. I knew what was coming next as the moon glowed stronger. My body moved on it's own and before I knew it I pushed Gretta out of the way. I now stood in the yin yang symbol I looked up at the moon with tears streaming down my cheeks already knowing my fate. I heard Jack scream my name as the some of the villagers gasped. The moons rays shined down upon me as I closed my eyes awaiting death. To my surprise I felt lighter and the villagers gasped again. I opened my eyes to see my true form, now I understand why the villagers gasped at me. I am the true pure maiden. I understood my purpose now, and I looked at Jack one last time with tears in my eyes. He had a look of such shock. I smiled at him gently but all he could do was stare. He dropped to his knees as tears rolled down his cheeks. Did he understand my fate now? I bet he believes me now. I looked down at the village that I might never see again in person and smiled as I closed my eyes.

Goodbye Jack. I will continue to love and protect you from the world beyond this one.

I love you Jack Frost.

~~~☽~~~ End of Book 1 ~~~☽~~~