Chapter 3

Luke's POV

After dropping off Carter and Calum I just drove. Where? I don't know. I just needed to get this man away from Carter before he drives himself crazy enough to kill her. I care too much about Carter to see him lay his hands on her again.

I found a meadow where sunlight seems to not dare touch. It was perfect for me to lie him here until he wakes up. He probably will have a massive headache where I banged his head in.

As I opened the back of the truck, I noticed that he hasn't taken a shower in a while and he smells like shit. I barely even want to pick him up now. Instead, I dragged his body as far out in the meadow as possible. Finally dropping his feet, I felt him shake a little, trying to think about where he was. 'Shit' I whispered.

"Where am I?" He didn't seem angry yet.

On that cue, I tried walking away slowly so he wouldn't see me, but he wrapped his arms around my feet and legs so I couldn't leave. Pulling me to the ground, he climbed on top of me and took a left blow to my jaw.

"Where the fuck am I and where is Carter?!?" He's angrier than I expected him to be after just waking up.

"Get off me!" I pushed him off and decided to stand up because if we are going to fight, might as well fight like men instead of wrestling on the ground.

"Fine, you want to settle this like men? Bring it. And if I whoop your ass, you stay away from Carter."

"Deal." I agreed. I can't lie, I'm afraid he would beat my ass, he's crazy enough to, but for Carter, I'm going to try my best to win this fight.

Carter's POV.

"Is he going to be fine now?" I was anxious to know

"Yes dear, he will need to take these pills though, to stop the pain." The doctor informed me.

"Ok thanks." I took the pills from his hand and carefully sat on the hospital bed next to Calum.

"I hope I don't have to crunch over like a grandpa for too long." He practically chuckles.

I laugh along with him. "I hope not either."

Calum's cheesy jokes helped lighten the mood a little, I was still upset about what my father...Frank...did. He is no longer respected enough to be called a father by me. I was done with being "daddy's little girl", I'm older and can do things on my own. But what actually ran through my mind at this moment was..Where the hell did Luke go?

Luke's POV.

I was covered in bruises and blood. It was worse to keep spitting out trickles of blood from my mouth that he has tempted to keep aiming for. I was done with the bullshit he has put me and Carter through. In 10th grade, he always slapped her for not going with him instead of me. I was her safe zone, I was there to cherish her and love her while he abused and used her has a punching bag, well not anymore. This has to stop.

I parried his blow to my jaw again and kneed his balls three times. While he started whimpering and lying down in pain, I finished him off with a kick to the stomach and face and stood there with my fists balled to my side.

"I won, you keep coming around, and I'll be sure to finish what I hadn't." I threatened then walked away as if he would come after me.

Struggling to get his words out he screeches behind me, "It's Not Over".

I laugh after his words and out the car I drive thinking to myself, he doesn't know when to stop.

Calum's POV.

I never fail to make Carter laugh, it's music to my ears. After all the pain I been through, this made me not notice how hurt I was. It killed me even more to watch her cry at the sight of my pain. I wish she knew how much I liked her, but she loves Luke more than anything and he's my bestfriend, I couldn't take him from her.

"Are you ok?" Her voice brought me from my thoughts.

"Yes. Sorry I was just daydreaming"

"Weirdo" she teases.

I smile I'm defeat and she rests her head on my shoulder.

"Calum?" She broke the silence

"Yes?"

"When we get out of High School and begin to go separate ways... Promise me something?"

"And what is that?"

"Promise me that we will be together. Like we were as kids. That we won't leave each other and continue to be friends."

Within those words I smile happily and reply "I promise".

The knock at the door faded away my smile and Luke came walking in covered in bruises and blood that stained his shirt.

"What the hell happened?!?" Carter runs over to him in his care.

"It's ok, I'm fine." He uncaringly says.

"Are you ok?" He finally asks me.

"Yeah I'm ok"

"The doctor said he's allowed to leave now" Luke finally says.

"Then get me outta here!" I joke and they laugh respondingly.

Carter's POV.

Making my way through the mess that still lies on the floor from earlier today, I accidentally cut my foot on a smaller knife I didn't see while trying to avoid the others in my sight.

'Shit' I curse at myself and Luke comes in after getting Calum settled in his room and picks me up.

"You got to be more careful" he smiled and sat me down on the bathroom counter.

"I didn't see it"

"Apparently not" he chuckled more and carefully dapped a wet rag on my cut.

"Oh hush."

Luke is dumb. But he's my dumby, I'm happy he's here for me. Joking around and lightning the mood from the disaster from earlier. It was brave of him to stand up against my...Frank, whatever happened there. I wonder if he will try to get me back or not. I hope Luke drove him in the middle of no where and "accidentally" ran him over...no I can't think that way. It's hard enough to know that he put me through so much shit, if I talk bad about him, it wouldn't do any good..not even satisfy my hateful nerves for him.

Bandaging up my foot he finally says "There you go." And leads me off the counter. Before strolling off to bed, I took a different fresh rag and went over the bloody spots on his face. He hissed at what seemed to sting him but I didn't care.

....

"Carter! Caaarter! Carter!" Calum was screaming my name. I jumped out of

bed and dashed into the living room.

"Goodmorning Carter" he smiled.

"Goodmorning. What happened?"

"Nothing I just wanted to see of you were awake."

I gave him the are you fucking kidding me face and he chuckled. I was so deep in my sleep and he called me in to play games. Got dammit Calum. I was for once having a good dream...

"Carter!" My dad called me from my room.

Entering our cozy living room after trampling down the stairs, I gaped at the huge sparkly balloons that read Happy Birthday. To my surprise I was screaming in excitement and giggling showing how thankful I was to have this.

"Carter. I have something for you." My mother entered the room with a birthday cake while smiling.

"I hope you like it." She says with a glow in her eyes.

"I love it!" And leap into her arms as she kisses my hair. Sharing the warm embracive hug. Calum's scream scares the shit out of me and I wake up to find out my mother is still gone.

"What was wrong with Calum?" Luke just wakes up, noticing my body wasn't next to his.

"Nothing. He was just being funny"

"Oh ok" he rolled out the bed and picked me up with my legs around his waist.

"Goodmorning Beautiful." He says so passionately. The words make me want to kiss him to death but I had to have self control.

"Goodmorning" i recited planting a kiss right on his soft lips.