Close call

Another chapter. Sorry it took forever to update, I've been really busy. Hope you like it. Enjoy~

The usual bright environment of the house was gone. Their mornings aren't as cheerful as it used to be, usually Zoe would be the first thing they see every morning, but now she's just the first thing they think of. Barely able to focus on the case, let alone their fake jobs.

It was just another Saturday of focusing on the case, but they can barely keep themselves from thinking of her every second. Esposito was just checking backgrounds as Beckett searched for any other information that could tie any of them to this. He sighed heavily as he leaned back into the chair.

"This is pointless. Whoever this guy is, he's a pro" he said in frustration.

"We can't give up. We promised we'll get her back, and I'm planning on that being soon" she said.

"How are we suppose to track a ghost? Any evidence we find leads to more dead ends, and I'm sick of it" he said.

"We just have to keep trying" she encouraged before going back to work.

But shortly after she did, she found one particular neighbor with a very interesting story.

"Javi, I got something" she said.

He looked up from the laptop before pushing his chair closer to her to see what was it she found.

"Mark Jones, he lives a few blocks from here. He's been in and out of juvenile​ as a kid. He grew to violence at the age of 19. Been in prison for 3 years for attempted murder. Been clear since" she stated.

"What makes you think it's him?" he questioned.

"Because this is the man I saw. The one I felt like was watching me. I couldn't make out his face before. But I know it's him" she said surely.

He's worked with her long enough to know not to doubt her gut "So what's the plan?".

___________________________________

Beckett walked up to the house of Mark Jones. Taking a deep breath, she raised her fist and knocked. It didn't take long for someone to answer the door. It's him. His face was covered in stains, and his brown hair was a mess. But he smiled as he saw her.

"Hello there. I don't believe we've met" he greeted her as he brushed himself off.

"Hi, I'm Kate. My husband and I moved around the corner from here a few months ago. We never got the chance to say hi" she said.

"Is that so? Well I'm Mark. Where is your husband?" he questioned.

"At work, last minute meeting thing. He said I could come here and introduce myself to you first" she said casually.

"Ah, want to come inside?" he offered.

She breathed in before answering "Sure" then she stepped inside and the door closed behind her.

___________________________________

She sat on the couch, looking around the house. If she wasn't suspicious of the man, she would think he's just another neighbor. His house was well decorated, nice and homey. Not too small. Framed pictures on the shelves, and very neat. It wasn't even dark, in fact, his whole house is the exact opposite of what killer's houses would look like.

"Would you like some coffee?" he offered.

She nodded.

"I'll be right back" he smiled "Please, sit" he said before leaving for the kitchen.

She sat down slowly and almost yelped when she accidentally pushed the couch back slightly. She breathed a few times then looked around for anything suspicious. She saw a framed picture on one of the shelves, and couldn't​ help but stare. It looks like a picture of a woman. Probably in her early 20s. She knows Mark is 43, so maybe she was his daughter. But his record never mentioned him being married.