Chapter 20: Mic Check

A/N: Hey guys i know i haven't uploaded in a while but here it is... I have my book almost done and typed up, it’s just a matter of posting them now. I am having some issues writing the ending, so I'll post the rest of my story- a chapter a day, I just hope that you guys can give me some feedback and inspiration on how to finish the book. I will even dedicate the final chapter to the person who helps me with it! Keep calm and read on -Teamtommo91

Liam seemed restless this evening; he was agitated and snapping at people when spoken to. That was totally out of character for him, or at least anyone who knew Liam in the club. He knew he had to get a hold of Amy, but needed to speak with Zayn first. He just couldn’t get that bad feeling out of his mind. It was starting to affect him physically. If there was ever a time in his life that he would have a drink, it would be now. That, however wouldn’t do him any good, if anything it may make things worse. That sickening feeling in the pit of his stomach just wouldn’t go away. He hoped Zayn would walk in soon; he needed something or someone to help get the thoughts out of his mind. Zayn was making a habit out of keeping Liam waiting, which was something Niall already warned Zayn not to do.

Just as Liam was about to call Zayn, he walked in. He walked over to Liam in the V.I.P lounge and gave him an extended hand to shake and took a seat. Zayn took a look around and noticed how busy it was.

“Hey mate, how’s our captured friend doing?” Zayn asked as he took a seat on the sofa. Anytime Liam has guests in the lounge, his personal waitress always made sure there were drinks on the table at the ready. Zayn picks up one of the chilled unopened beer bottles on the table, twists the cap off and tosses it in the ash tray on the side table beside him.

“He’s recovering quite well, thanks to Niall, that boy is waiting on him hand and foot.” Liam said, shaking his head with a smirk on his face. “It’s a little weird seeing it, actually.”

Zayn mimicked Liam’s reaction with a head shake and a smile. “What’s so weird about it?” Zayn asked with the beer bottle tipped to his mouth. Liam brushed his hands through his hair and unconsciously started tapping his foot. Liam stared at the beer bottles lined on the table starting to zone out.

“Liam… mate?” Zayn called out, finding Liam’s actions this evening very bizarre, which alerted him.

“Just because I’ve never really seen him act that way around strangers.” Liam responded without taking his eyes off the beer bottles.

“Well, I have to be honest with you, Liam; I’ve never seen him so choked up over a person with so many injuries afflicted on them.”

 Liam sat forward with his elbows on his knees. “I suppose your right, mate.” Liam said as he stood up. “Hey, let’s go to my office where it’s a little quieter, yeah?” Liam said as he turned and headed toward the back door labeled ‘Employees Only.’

Zayn grabbed his beer and another unopened one for later, and followed Liam to his office. Liam unlocked the door and flicked on the lights.

As soon as they stepped in, Liam threw his keys on his desk. Zayn headed over to the sofa and put both beer bottles down on the coffee table.

“Hey, what’s up with you tonight, you’re acting awfully strange?” Zayn asked as he took a seat on the sofa.  He took out a cigarette and offered it to Liam first as he motioned it to him. Liam shook his palm in a ‘no thanks’ motion. Zayn placed it in between his lips before setting it on fire and taking a puff. He exhaled smoke into the air opposite of Liam, being polite about it.

“Is there something that I should worry about?” Zayn asked as he took a drink of beer.

“Oh no… nothing that can’t be handled.” Liam said as he took a seat in the chair at his desk. “Harry is a little more involved than I was lead to believe.” Liam said as he was swiveling in his chair. At least it was less distracting than the foot tapping, so he thought.