Chapter 25

“Do you really want to do this?” Ellard asked worriedly.

“Yes.” Do I? I don’t know.

“Then we need to go.” I stood up and went with them. “Adela?” He called.

“Yes?” Adela hopped like a child.

“Never leave her side, okay?” She nodded and we went inside my car.

I revved up the engine and drove off. Something’s not right. I feel like something bad will happen. I thought I’m fine now. I kept on looking from left to right. I know I shouldn’t do this because I’m driving but I need to be cautious. Without intending to I press my foot harder on the accelerator. A police spotted us and ask me to pull over. I obeyed him. He went to me and I cringed away from him. I just stared at him. What he’s saying don’t make sense. In my peripheral vision, I saw Ellard’s car pull up and he went to me.

“Excuse me, sir. Is there any problem?” He asked.

“They’re exceeding the speed limit.” The police said simply. They kept on talking but I tune them out. I closed my eyes tight and lean on the steering wheel. Can I really do this? I heard a tap on the window and I almost jumped. I saw Ellard and opened it.

“Get out.” He said simply. I obeyed him. I don’t know. It’s just that I trust him enough not to question him. I kept on looking around me. Again. I’m being paranoid. He leaned inside and says something to Adela. He put his arms around me and that stop my paranoia. I just felt like… I’m safe. I don’t know how it happened though. He ushered me towards his car and gestured for me to go inside. When I’m settled in, he closed the door and went to the other side of the car and started the engine.

“Why?” I asked him.

“What why?” He sounded perplexed.

“Why did you take me in your car?”

“You can’t drive.”

“How about Adela?”

“She can.”

“Then I should have just stayed with her.”

“You kept on looking around you Niesha.” He sighed. “Are you sure you’ll be alright?” He looked at me intently. I can see the anxiety on his face.

“I guess.” I whispered.

“I guess is not enough. I’ll just take you home.”

“No!” I yelled.

“Why?”

“I…” Do I want to tell him the truth? I shook my head slowly.

“Niesha.” He tapped on the steering wheel.

“I don’t want to be left alone.” I said in a voice that’s barely audible.

“I’m not going to school then.” He shrugged like it’s not a big deal.

“I’m going.” I said finally. I don’t want him to do anything for me.

“You’re really sure?” Am I really sure? I don’t know. I looked at my lap and wringed my fingers. I contemplated on what I really want. Can I really go to school? I looked at him straight in the eyes and he raised his eyebrows at me.

“I’m sure. Just…” I trailed off. He gestured for me to continue. “Just don’t leave me alone.” I looked down again.

“I won’t. I have most of my classes with you anyway.” I just nodded at him and he started driving. When we park in front of the school, I just stared straight ahead. Looking at the students and searching for someone in particular. Boyd. Can I see him? Will I see him? The door beside me opened and I looked at it with wide eyes. “Niesha.” Ellard sighed.