10.) Brotherhood

A/N

"What's going to happen is you and Sarah are going to be in charge of getting the meds while Jared, Anthony, and I try to keep the Infected away," Joe explains to me as we walk to the garage to load up the trucks. "You and Sarah can ride with me and Jared can ride with Anthony." He unlocks the garage door and pushes it open to reveal the large garage with the three cars sitting in it idly.

Joe's car is sitting in one of the far corners, while Jacob's truck and the truck that was already here are sitting closer to the main garage doors.

We walk down the ramp leading to the main level of the garage, towards the large navy blue GM truck that was sitting right under the garage door motor-thingy.

I know nothing about trucks or garages and what-not because quite frankly I could care less.

Joe unhinges the tailgate and it slams down with a not-so-quiet thud.

"We'll have to remember that when we get to the hospital." He shrugs innocently, continuing to climb into the bed of the truck.

It's probably going to be in our best interest to not slam giant metal objects while we're surrounded by Infected. I preferably want to come back in alive and in one piece.

"What are you doing?" I question him, as he stands on the bed of the truck fumbling around with the garage door motor on the ceiling of the garage.

I digress, I know nothing about anything that happens in the garage.

"I'm trying to unlatch the door from the chain so that we can open the door without having to use the electricity." He explains, but to no avail on my part.

"Why not just press the button?" I inquire, tilting my head to the side questioningly. "You literally just said that we have electricity."

Something makes a loud clicking sound and a large red handle comes swinging down from the motor. Joe lets out a satisfied sigh and then looks at me to give me a droll stare. "And what exactly do you think the generator runs off of?" He hops down from the bed of the truck with a heavy thud sound as his feet hit the hard cement floor.

"Um, the giant solar panels on the roof." I point out, pointing up towards the ceiling.

Joe snorts amusingly and slams the tailgate shut, making a louder noise than when he opened it earlier. "The solar panels don't even work, Crest." He points out and folds his arms over his chest, leaning on the tailgate and raising his eyebrows at me challengingly.

My eyes widen at the mention of this. "What do you mean the solar panels don't work?" I ask incredulously. How can we have electricity if the solar panels don't work? Isn't that what the generators run off of?

"The panels were never finished, and they're not even hooked up to the electrical wiring in the house." He explains, matter-of-factly. "So, even if they did have all the necessary components they wouldn't power anything in the house."

"So... how do we have electricity then?" I question him with raised eyebrows. I literally don't understand anything that he's talking about.

"The generators..." He starts, seeing that I'm not following he continues on slower than necessary. "that run on gas that we don't have any extra of."

Lightbulb!

"Oh..." I gasp out in realization. That actually makes a lot of sense. The generators run on gas, and the solar panels are a product of their own. They're independent of each other.

Well, I'm an idiot.

"How would you survive without me?" He tisked while shaking his head, pushing himself from off of the tailgate and towards the main garage door.