13.) Slaughter House

Kiyana's POV:

"She's burning up." I hand the thermometer back to Ashley, sighing heavily. "She needs those meds now. Are you sure there's nothin' in this whole damn house?" I stand up from Katie's bedside and pace over to the bathroom. 

"We've looked everywhere," Ashley sighs. 

I disregard her as I throw open the medicine cabinet to see it's completely empty. I open and slam close every drawer and heave out a heavy sigh of frustration when they're all empty too. 

I walk back out to see Ashley worriedly looking at Katie, patting her sweat-beaded forehead with a damp cloth. 

We need those meds soon. I don't know anything about how the body functions but I'm pretty sure she can't stay like this forever. 

"You stay here and watch after her," I order, closing the bathroom door behind me, "I'ma check on Camila." 

Ashley nods her head, not taking her eyes off Katie. 

"Find me if she gets worse," I add, leaving the room, closing the door silently before making my way down the winding hall towards the master bedroom. 

I finally reach the end of the hall to the large double oak doors that lead to the master room.

I knock on the hard doors, only having to wait for a second before the sound of Camila's muffled voice comes from the other side. 

"Come in!"

I push open the left door to see her sitting in a plush chair by the large floor-to-ceiling window overlooking the backyard pond and clearing. The early afternoon light was flooding through the windows making the room look even more elegant than usual. 

"Hi, Kiyana!" She beams, walking over towards me. Her long brown hair was in waves over her left shoulder and her skin was glowing. 

She looked perfectly fine. 

"You sure you sick?" I ask skeptically, eyeing her up and down. 

Camila scoffs, rolling her eyes while taking a seat in the plush light-brown desk chair closest to me. "You know how Joe is," She starts, "He always assumes the worst but I probably just ate something bad." 

"Probably," I agree, sitting on the desk in front of her. "We're not exactly eatin' the freshest foods." I joke and Camila smirks up at me, tossing her hair back while nodding in agreement. 

"This is true." She laughs, hugging her left knee to her chest and kicking her right leg out. 

Though Joe and Anthony are childhood friends, Camila and I've never really hung out. I think we might've met at a football game last year but besides that...

"Wanna walk around?" I ask, knowing she's probably been in this room for days. 

Her face lights up and she almost jumps out of her chair in excitement. "Totally! I haven't left this room in days!"

Told ya.

"Joe ain't here, he can't stop ya." I joke, earning a laugh from Camila. 

"I like the way you think," she points at me and we both laugh as we stand up and make our way through the doors, closing them behind us. 

"So..." She begins as we walk down the wooden spiral staircase to the kitchen, "How are things with you and Anthony?" 

I shrug nonchalantly, "Fine I guess... considering."

I glance over at her as she nods her head in understanding. This whole end of the world thing has got everyone all over the place. Anthony and I are actually doing fine, though. But, something tells me that's not the case with Camila and Joe.