C16: Flameball, Finnceline and Flamonna! Part 3

Bubblegum's P.O.V

I tugged at my gummy fringe and stared at the scientific concoction that glowed red like embers sitting on ash. I picked up a vial of purple essence and poured it into the conical flask. A puff of heart-shaped fire came from the neck of the flask. "Oh!" I exclaimed. "It's complete!"

"Bubblegum! PB! Princess!" I heard Gumball's voice call. "Hey!" He sped around the corner and into my lab. "I... I need that potion you're making!"

"What?" I watched him gasp for breath and put my hands on y hips, pursing my lips. I felt much older than him, for some reason. "Gumball, what the nuts? What do you mean, you need it?"

"I mean, I need it!" Gumball frowned angrily. "I need it to become a fire elemental!"

"Why?" I demanded. "Why would you need to be a fire elemental for?"

"To be able to be with Flame Princess! Duh!" Gumball finally caught his breath and stood up straight. "Why else?"

"Um, no! This is for Finn!" I was still taller than Gumball, so I lifted the potion off the stainless steel workbench and held it above my head. "Do you not recall our breakup conversation?"

"Um, yeah, I know, I remember." Gumball rolled his eyes. "I was there! But now we're not together, so why would you care?"

"Because, it's Finn's!" I shouted. Then, with a huff, I brushed past him, still clutching the glowing red material.

Peppermint Butler peered curiously from behind a slightly ajar door. "Princess, can I help you with anything?"

"Escort Prince Gumball out. He must leave the castle at all costs." I kept walking, my peanut brittle heels clacking on the white chocolate floor. "Oh, and, Pep? Ban him from entering Ooo's Candy Kingdom, please."

"Of course, milady." Peppermint Butler turned and walked over to Gumball. "Sir, please come with me. By order of the Princess of the Candy Kingdom, you are hereby expelled from the palace."

" I love her!"Gumball blurted. "I love Flame Princess!"

I stopped dead in my tracks. "What?"

"I love Flame Princess!" Gumball repeated in the same voice.

"B-But... Finn loves Flame Princess!" I stuttered.

"Oh yeah?" Gumball folded his arms. "Then why did she kiss me?"

"You... She... It won't even work anyway! You guys... you heard what I said!"

Gumball narrowed his eyes at me. "'Oh! It's complete!'" he mimicked. "I saw the fire. I saw the heart-shape. It's catalysed. It'll work on me now."

"That was my last pure love potion! I can't just..." I sighed. "Okay. Okay. How's this? If you really love her, I'll make you another one. But you need to catalyse it. Got that?"

"But... I can't..." Gumball looked at me, upset. Then a grin twitched at his mouth. "Okay, princess. I can do that. See you in a week."

My grin faded. Why is he so confident?

He left without another word.

What the junk just happened?

"Princess, a holophone call from Master Finn." Peppermint Butler brought my holophone on a platter to me.

"Thank you."

"Hey PB!" Finn cried.

"Sup Finn."

From behind Finn, Marceline came into view. "Hello, Bonnibel."

I rolled my eyes. "Hey Marceline. So, what's up, you guys?"

"Do you wanna -" Finn and Marceline started to say in unison, before pausing to let the other continue. "We were wondering if -" The same thing happened again. "Truth or dare at the treehouse?" they finished together. Marceline giggled. "With everyone?" Finn added.

"Sure, you guys! That sounds really cool!" I was genuinely excited. "But can we make it at the lodge? It's a common point, and..."

"Oh, sure!" Finn nodded.

"I'm cool with that," Marceline agreed.

"Kay, bye, Finn!" I went to hang up, but then stopped as I saw something I probably shouldn't have seen - Finn and Marceline kissing each other, hard.

Silently, I hung up and whispered, "Well then." Then, louder, "Pep! Add to my calendar for tomorrow - bonding activity at the lodge."

"Yes, milady."

I walked back to the lab and set the potion in a candy-steel safe with a fingerprint scanner, a voice-activated lock, and a pin number.

Then I walked into my bedroom and slumped at my desk, piles and piles of papers I needed to sort through at my left. I sighed and got to work.