C24: Love Will Win

Fionna's P.O.V

Marshall... he... he was... The Lich Prince had...

"Oh glob..." I whispered, stepping backwards. I couldn't... couldn't hurt him.

"Hey Fi," 'Marshall' muttered. "How are you?"

"I'm scared," I stuttered, backing into a tree. "I'm scared and alone and terrified."

Then an idea popped into my head. "And I'm in love with you."

His head snapped up, all pretence gone. "Human, don't -"

"I don't know what I like about you," I continued. "I just... you're so hot, but that's a small part of it. You're smart, and funny, and talented, and so, so courageous. And you're sweet. You act tough, but you're sweet and sensitive, and..."

By now, 'Marshall' was clutching his head in pain.

I sucked in a breath. If he could hear me, this would get awkward when he woke up. "And I love you. I, Fionna Murtons, am in love with you Marshall Lee Abadeer!"

The moan the Lich Prince emanated was incredible, but I continued.

"Marshall, wake up. He's probably got you in an illusion, some sort of fantasy world, but, Marshall, fight it! It's not real! It's fake! The only thing that's real..."

There were white hot tears leaking from my eyes. "The only thing that matters is my love for you, Marshall!"

"F... Fionna..." The Lich Prince stumbled backwards. "What... have you done..."

He tipped his head back and screamed. As he did, he shot out of Marshall's body, screaming in pain.

Bubblegum ran up behind me. "Take this!" she whispered hurriedly, pressing a vial of whitish too into my hand. I took it, realising it was probably something to stop the Lich Prince. As he landed on the ground, he turned to me, smiling and pulled a dagger from his belt.

Black blood trickled from his lips as he threw it at me. It speared my chest, sending pain through my body.

He dissolved with a laugh.

Marshall blinked, stumbled forward, then saw me. He gasped and ran over to me. "F... Fionna?" he mumbled in disbelief, in a voice better suited to a five year old.

"Hey," I chuckled weakly.

He fell to his knees beside me, grabbing my hand. "N-No... y-you can't..."

I shook my head. "I am, Marshall. That's what's happening."

He leaned in close. "I won't let it happen," he snarled firmly, biting down on my neck.

It stung for a second. Then, slowly, I started to feel less and less as all the blood was sucked from my veins.

Then my feeling was sent shooting back into me, carrying a slow and painful burning. I gasped, but the knife wound didn't hurt anymore.

I looked over to Marshall, who sat back, looking more coloured. There was something missing...

His bite marks.

I gasped.

He chuckled. "A vampire gets one bite, Fi. One bite, then they're human. But only if they bite another human."

I embraced him in a hug. "You sacrificed your vampirism to save me!" I cried, sobbing uncontrollably into his shoulder.

"Aw, how sweet," the Lich Prince snarled from behind us. "Too bad I hate sweet," he hissed, pulling another knife from his belt. He took aim, and let it fly...