Chapter 6 (Too much)

???: I'm Mark. Mark Tuan.

  His eyes shone a glimpse of hope but my expression remained puzzled. What could possibly make him feel like this? I removed my hand away when the silence crept in. I changed my focus to Mr and Mrs. Tuan.

  Mrs. Tuan: You must be Jade. It's been a long time. You still look pretty as ever.

  A sincere smile was on her face but her words took me a while to process in my mind. "It's been a long time"? What was that suppose to mean? Have I met them before? My questions were answered when Jackson came into the room and saw Mark.

  Jackson: MARK?!?! OMG BRO, it's been forever since I've seen you. Do you still remember what I said?

  He wiggled his eyebrows toward the two of us and nudged Mark's arm. Just like a storm, the memories hit me like a bus.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Flashback to when they were 11 years old (they are 19 years old during the story)

  Jackson and I were waiting for someone at the park near our house. Then, a figure appeared. His brown hair suits his small face with his lips curved into a small smile but his eyes were....sad. As usual, Jackson went up to him and slinged his arm around him as if nothing is wrong. But I could feel it. I could always feel what he's feeling. I guess that's because I've known him all my life.

  I slowly walked to them with worried eyes. He stared back with the sadness literally radiating off him. Our eyes locked and his stare burned into my eyes. Just then, everything made perfect sense. I overheard his parents talking about LA the other day and this seems to fit the puzzle.

  He's moving. All the way to America. Soon

  A drop of tear dropped from his eyes. The moment I saw it, my heart broke. Tears of mine slowly rolled down my cheeks as I pulled him in for a hug. My brother was clueless as to what was happening. He just stood there watching the melancholy event.

  When I pulled away, Mark stopped crying and held my hand tightly.

  Mark: I'm sorry. I'm leaving tomorrow. I just came here to say goodbye. I'll miss you guys a lot. I promise we will see each other again.

  Jackson's jaw dropped. His eyes were starting to get glossy and soon enough, he bursted out crying. Mark was our closest friend. He was like our brother. Not only that, but I loved him. Little did he know, I have a huge crush on him. He was my first love.

  The three of us embraced one another in a group hug. After we pulled away, Jackson started jumping up and down and looked at him in a weird way. He whispered something into Mark's ear and it immediately turned bright red.

  Jade: Whatcha whispering about?

  But Jackson just laughed evilly and playfully fluffed Mark's hair in response. After whatever Jackson whispered to Mark, he avoided my gaze whenever possible. I was curious about his sudden change of behaviour but I decided to let it go. I tried to convince Mark to let me say goodbye at the airport tomorrow but he refused and complained about the matter.

  The next day, I texted him while he was waiting for the plane to arrive. We talked for an hour before he took off. He promised to text me when he landed so I waited.

  Hours turned into days, days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. Not a text from him was seen. Not even a call or a letter. Nothing. With time, everything was forgotten. And so was he.
_____________________________________________________________________

  Jade: M-Mark? Is it really you?

  Without a word, he pulled me into a hug and nuzzled his head to my neck. I felt warm in his hugs. I placed my arms around his waist and hugged him back. It was nice to see him again. I couldn't believe that I almost forgot about my best friend. At least he's here again.

  Mark: I thought you really forgot about me.

  I chuckled nervously.

  Jade: Honestly, I did for a minute until Jackson came. It's good to see you again. We've missed you.

  He smiled at my words causing me to smile too. However, his smile faded as his eyes filled with regret.

  Mark: Hey, I'm sorry that I didn't text you or call you. Gosh, it's been 8 years. I'm sorry. J, there's something I have to tell you. And I should've told you this a long time ago.

  Jade: Sure.

  His eyes turned more serious when he saw Jackson leaning into our conversation and said, "Alone," in a deep voice that differs so much from his laugh that I missed so much. Jackson frowned and left to the kitchen. Probably to go and find food to eat.

  I lead Mark to the backyard and we sat down by the pool while dipping our feets into the water.

  Jade: Soooo, what is it?

  After a minute of silence, I heard him sighed and turned to look at me.

  Mark: I don't know where to start, but there's one thing I've always known.

  His eyes burned into mine as I stared back with confusion. Suddenly, his eyes closed as a tear fell from his eye. Instantly, I placed my hand on his cheek to wipe out the teardrop. He grabbed my hand and held it tightly against his face.

  Mark: I love you. I always have.
______________________________________________________

Sorry for the late update guys. School has not been good to me. Anyways, feel free to comment on the story. Chapter 7 will be updated sooner or later!