~Chapter 23~

Minhyuk: I'm leaving.

Jade: W-What?

Minhyuk: I'm leaving in three days.

Words couldn't explain the way my chest tightened at the news. Three days. After only seeing him again, he's leaving in three days.

His teary eyes reflected my confused ones while I waited for him to cut the act and tell me it was all a stupid prank to get me all emotional.

But the drop of tear that rolled down his cheek said otherwise.

Jade: So soon...?

He ignored my question and pulled me into a tight embrace. His face was nuzzled into the side of my neck as he broke into tears.

Jade: This is a prank right, Minhyuk? Please tell me it is.

His arms around me only tightened and that was when I felt helpless. My limbs went numb and my eyes became watery.

Why must everything happen now?

I couldn't find the energy in me to return his embrace. I simply cried in his arms.

Minhyuk: I'll miss you so much.

Jade: Says the one who's leaving in three days!

He chuckled before pulling away to wipe his tears. His arms were still around my waist and both of us were just looking at each other while the tears slowly stopped.

After a while, he let go of his hold on my waist before one of his hand gently caress my cheek. I bit my lip to hold my tears in but he wiped the threatening drop of tear away before it escaped.

Minhyuk: I wasn't supposed to tell you this now, you know? But it was too difficult to keep it from you. Gosh, you have no idea how much I wanted to hide and run when I saw you today.

Jade: When did you find out that you are leaving?

Minhyuk: The day I bumped into you at the studio.

Jade: Oh...

His hand on my cheek falls onto the back of my neck as he pulled me closer. My eyes slightly widened when he suddenly kissed my forehead.

His lips lingered for a bit as my eyes fluttered shut, wanting to savour this moment.

Jade: Why are you leaving?

He stepped back and shoved his hands into his pockets with a small smile at my question.

Minhyuk: I got recruited into my previous entertainment company in Korea so I'm moving back to continue training.

Jade: That's amazing!

Minhyuk: It really is. I'll still miss you though.

Jade: Hey hey! Man up, will ya? This won't be the last time you see me.

Minhyuk: Says you, squirrel! You were breaking down just minutes ago.

Jade: Aye, I couldn't let a man cry by himself.

Minhyuk: Right. Oh, and Jade...

Jade: Hmm?

Without a warning, he pecked my cheek and left me blushing profusely. My gaze were fixed on the ground as my fingers fiddled around.

Jade: W-What was that..?

Minhyuk: My farewell gift to you.

Jade: So this is it, huh?

Minhyuk: What do you mean?

Jade: Is this really the last time I'm gonna see you before you leave to Korea?

Minhyuk: Yeah...

I couldn't help the tears flowing from my eyes anymore. And this time, I didn't want to hold back the heavy tears streaming from my eyes.

I forced a smile at him and held his hands in mine. My eyes were searching for his while I try to imprint all of his facial features in my brain to remember him in the future.

It was late so Minhyuk dropped me at home and handed me a letter.

Minhyuk: Don't read it until I tell you to, okay?

Jade: Aye aye captain.

Before he left, he took a step closer, leaving us only an inch apart.

Minhyuk: Please forgive me.

Jade: For wha-

It took me a second to comprehend what was happening when Minhyuk connected his lips with mine at the doorstep of my house.

I froze, not knowing what to do. Maybe Tasnia was right. Did I really lead him on all this time?

When Minhyuk realised that I wasn't responding to the kiss, he pulled away and sighed.

Minhyuk: So I'm not the one...

Jade: Minhyuk...I'm sorry.

Minhyuk: Don't be, you squirrel. Goodbye Jade.

Jade: Don't say goodbye.

He smiled softly at me as he ruffled my hair.

Minhyuk: Sorry. Goodnight Jade.

Jade: Much better. Goodnight Minhyukie.

And then he left. I just hoped that it wasn't the last time I'd see him. My sorry couldn't make up for my actions. I didn't mean to lead him on like Tas said. I'm sorry, Minhyuk.

I miss you already.