Prologue

Prologue

Once the western coast of the United States, The Republic is now a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors, The Colonies. Born into a elite family, fifteen-year-old June is a military prodigy being groomed for success. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. June and Day have no reasons to cross paths--until the day June's brother Metias is put into a coma and Day becomes the prime suspect. In a shocking turn of events, the two discover the truth of what has really brought them together.

There are two groups of people, elite people and slum people. Every ten-year-old has to take the Trial. The trial is a written test, a physical test, and an interview. The highest score you can get is a perfect 1500. When June took her trial she got a perfect 1500. The trial determines where you belong so she was put in one of the best universities. When Day took his trial he failed it with a score of 629/1500. He was put in the slum sector of California. Almost everyday there was a nasty breakout of the plague. The plague is sort of the like the small pox disease. The military comes everyday to your house to check for plague victims. If there is a plague victim at you house they will kill the victim and mark you front door with a big X.