Chapter 1- Day's POV

"My family thinks i'm dead Tess except for John. Why do you think i'm so scared." i say.

"Come on Day, don't be so coy. John won't tell," Tess tells me.

"How do you know that!" I snap back at her. Immediately feel guilty. "I'm sorry," I say.

"It's okay. I get why your worried," she says soothingly. Ever since i met Tess, she has always been able to calm me down.

"I have two brothers, Eden ans John. I'm worried that one of them might have the plague," I whisper. The soldiers are very close to my house. "Eden is about to turn ten and John is worried that he might have the plague. He said that Eden has been getting sick a alot," I say holding back tears. When the soldiers get to my house they go inside slowly. Five minutes are up and they are still not out. Ten minutes, twenty minutes, thirty minutes, forty-five minutes and then an hour.

"What's taking so long," Tess asks. I shrug. When the soldiers come out they mark my door with a big X and then cut it in half. I stare in disbelief. Who has the plague and what does the strange X mean. I turn away and run. Tess follows me but is unable to keep up. I usually don't run away from things but i want to run away from this and keep running. When i finally stop Tess asks me,

"What are you going to do.' I don't even hesitate to answer.

"I'm going to steal some plague cures." Then i lay out my plan to Tess and tell her exactly what to do. Tess traded five dollars for a bucket of pig's blood. She smeared it all over my body and my clothes, so i look more convincing when i go to the hospital.