Watching you stand alone

"Oh oh (y/n) here's another one!" Lilee said handing me yet another picture of Gene.

In this picture he looked to be about 10 and was looking at the camera with a straight face.

"Mom!! Stop!" Gene yelled grabbing the picture from her hands and throwing it behind his chair.

I giggled and continued eating Lilee's freshly made pancakes . . . that were amazing!

"I always thought Gene was a good looking kid but I now realize he's much better looking now." Lilee says giving me a small nudge.

I turned I light shade of red as I saw Gene give me a quick glance.

"So honey tell me , is Gene as bad as I hear at school?" Lilee asked me starring Gene down.

"Well I mean yes but it's not like he's failing so that's always good." I replied trying to make him sound decent ... I don't think I did a good job.

Lilee laughed at my response.

"Well I know he has at least you as a good influence on him." She said giving me a smile.

We finished up eating and I stood up heading for the door with Lilee and Gene following.

"Listen Sweeti if there is ever anything ANYTHING you need, just come a knocking  -I'm here for you." She said pulling me into another embrace where I hugged back.

"Thank you so much it means a lot." I responded and headed out the door.

Gene had followed me outside and had closed the door so it was just me and him under the blue sky.

"(Y/n) I know how you feel, don't worry it gets better."

"No Gene, no you don't." I tried to mutter under my breath.

He came in front of me, grabbing shoulder and pushing against the wall beside the door. His hand was right by my head and his face was close.

"No (y/n) I do understand."

I looked at him with curious eyes.

"8 years ago my father passed away." He said in a gentle voice.

"Gene..." I whispered

I didn't know what to do. This whole time I just thought he was a bad boy and a slacker. But I guess this just proves you can never read a book by its cover.

Out of nowhere my brain forced me to wrap my arms around his back leaning my head on his warm chest.

He didn't hug back but he didn't struggle our push away.

A couple seconds later I let go and found his face with tints of red and a look of confusion.

"I-I'm sorry I don't even know what I'm d-doing." I stuttered.

"N-no it's fine." He said rubbing the back of his head.

"I should get going." I said shooting him a nervous smile. I desperately didn't want to leave though.