Chapter 4: Mind-boggling

WARNING: This chapter contains mild sexual content

~HERMIONE'S POV~

We walked through the portrait hole and were greeted with something far more transitional and perfectly curated than I expected, the common room as a whole was exceptionally inviting.

A long corridor lead from the portrait, allowing for a rather dramatic effect as more and more of the space comes into view. The living room was two stories high, painted in an off-white. Thick planked medium brown, handscrapped hickory, hardwood clad the floors. It added to the warmth to the space that was far more comforting than the Gryffindor common room. Directly in front of me was a grand fireplace, wood already burning, filling my nostrils with a scent that smelt like home. There was dark stone surrounding the fireplace with a patinaed steel mantle that ran to the ceiling, housing a beautiful landscape painting. Both sides of the fireplace enclosed with floor-to-ceiling bookshelves already filled.

"The painting is from my personal collection, I've been gathering on my travels since I was young," Malfoy commented and I turned furrowing my brows. He answered the unspoken question. "Mcgonagal allowed me to bring some of my personal effects since I'm not in professors quarters.

"It's beautiful" I said simply, civilly. I turned back, my heart rate increasing at the sheer number of books surrounding the fireplace.

"I emptied the Manors' private library, I figured there was no safer place than here and Merlin knows we will get more use from them than anyone at that manor will" he added and I couldn't help the shock on my face. The Malfoy Manor private library was famous, to have all of it here, at my fingertips..."it wasn't for you Granger, don't look into it." He sneered.

I immediately stopped gocking and scanned the rest of the room, floor to ceiling windows were located on either side of the bookshelves and the entire right wall, showcasing a panoramic view of the highland mountains surrounding Hogwarts.

Floor-to-ceiling charcoal grey drapery tucked neatly to the sides with wall sconces glowing from candlelight sitting between them. There were three black leather couches with dark burgundy and forest green pillows. There was a tall potted tree in the corner of the room complimenting the pines outside and bringing the room together. It was a rather dark, moody space but I had to admit it was the perfect combination of Gryffindor and Slytherin and as much as I hated to admit it, of Malfoy and I. It felt completely like at home.

Malfoy walked off and I looked after him. I hadn't noticed before but there was a small kitchen and dining area to the left, behind a staircase, and what appeared to be a study to the left of the living room. I had forgotten all the accommodations afforded to the heads.

I walked towards the kitchen and noticed the ceiling had dropped in this area. The kitchen was a small U-shape style with a large floor-to-ceiling retractable wall beyond it that opened to the outdoors. The kitchen cabinets were a dark olive green, almost black colour with natural soapstone countertops and high-end cooking appliances. There were glass front upper cabinets and a beautiful natural soapstone subway backsplash in a warm light brown. It was cozy and perfect for what we might needed it for. I journeyed on, setting foot into the study.

"Unfortunately we are only allowed one study room. I know you prefer to study in solitude, as do I but we will have to do so in the company of each other" he said leaning against the frame of the door to the beautiful, elegant room. I've half a mind to propose a study schedule, but perhaps we let this play out, I thought walking further into the room. The ceiling was vaulted in an arch, with stained glass in the top section of the arched gable wall. Large bookcases sat in front of the windows in the center with dark green leather couches across from one another perpendicular to the bookcases. Two wood desks sat back to back at the front of the room and a dark green paint to match the couches adorned the wall. The sun cast a warm glow through the window walls, making the room almost glisten.I smiled to myself, knowing this would be my new favourite study space.