The adventures of Princess Annie

Author's Note: This story takes place in a kingdom far far away, and we are introduced to the princess when she is only 11 years old; however, don't be fooled by the simplicity of the first chapter, she will be growing up fast in the following chapters until she's a teenager. Her adventures will also evolved as she matures. Having said that, she is a princess and as such, palaces, beautiful gowns and admiring crowds will also appear regularly.

2 Images were used for the cover:

- Background: picture I took in Holland

- Lady in ball gown: photo credit goes to HalloweenFashion at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/halloweencostumes2011/6171304343/

The Adventures of Princess Annie - Chapter 1

Princess Annie was a nice girl of eleven years old. She had eyes the color of emeralds, her blond hair was curly and long and her personality was as cheerful as could be expected of an optimistic girl.

At her age, she was still too young to be presented to society, and so with the freedom of childhood still in her possession, she took full advantage of her free time to learn everything that wasn't deemed necessary for the education of a princess.

Her parents loved her dearly and doted on her; however they were shocked at some of her requests and refused to allow her to do all she wanted. It was better this way, Annie wasn't spoiled rotten and she had the opportunity to work for what she wanted to have. It was in such an occasion that she decided to use her father's great love for chess in order to get one of her non-granted wishes. You see, Annie was more intelligent than most people in the Kingdom. Her parents always chose the best tutors for her, but even then, Annie was always two steps ahead of them. She liked to use her intelligence for a great many things, and chess was one of them. Chess also happened to be the

great passion of her father. So they spent many afternoons playing against each other. Annie knew her father had an enormous ego regarding his ability in that game, she usually lost on purpose

because she didn't like to cause sadness to him and because she knew she could use this in the future. "Now", she thought, "it is time to collect. Let's show him who is the real Master in Chess of the family".

- Dear father, what do you say if we make this game more interesting?

- Oh, you must feel very confident today if you wish to make a bet. Have you seen the board? Are you sure it is wise?

- I have seen it. I still want to make the bet. Do you accept it?

- Let's hear the terms of this bet.

- Very well, if I win, I wish to learn how to cook and bake...

- Cook and bake?! Whatever for? You are a princess, you don't have to learn that since that's why the palace has cooks and bakers!

- If I lose, I will add one more hour to my daily practices of piano.

- mmm your mother has been talking about your piano skills lately. She says you're very talented but if you invested more time you would become truly impressive.

- Then you agree?

- Yes, my sweet angel, I agree.

Half an hour later, the King was admitting defeat much to his surprise.

- How did you do that? And how on Earth will I explain to your mother your new studies in the kitchen!

- Very simple dear father, you will tell her that I'm being punished.

- A punishment? A very original one indeed! She won't believe me. She knows how much you enjoy learning new things.

- I agree, but the important thing is that it will provide for a good excuse for me to receive cooking lessons. Appearances will be taken care of. As for my mother, I will add one hour of piano studies anyway just to appease her.