Chapter 9

The adventures of Princess Annie - Chapter 9

After some days, Annie regained her strength. She hadn't told anybody, but having passed energy to John more than once had weakened her greatly. When she felt herself stronger she put her plan into action.

She asked to be surrounded by 5 guards in horses at all times. Everybody assumed she was worried for her safety and she didn't deny it. It was a good excuse.

She left every day to meditate as usual, the difference being that she started taking the maps of the nearby towns. She closed her eyes and stayed in silence for hours. Suddenly, just before sunrise, she stood up and called her guards.

- Here. You know this place?

She pointed at a place in one of her maps. Three of her guards nodded.

- It's a tavern, Your Highness.

- Well, go there, now! Be careful.

They looked confused.

- I'm not crazy! Just go! I'll go back to the palace and send backup. It's of the utmost urgency.

The guards finally did as she said, except they made sure one of them took her to the palace before following the others. Annie ran and gave orders to the knights she saw. They were startled, but did as she said motivated by her determination.

Three hours later, her guards came to her.

- What did you find?

- 5 men from the Lions of Mayhem attacking a woman and robbing the place. They were arrested and imprisoned.

- Good. Do my father and brother know already?

- They are being told as we speak.

Annie nodded and went to her father's studio.

The King was waiting for her, still surprised by the news.

- How did you know?

- The animals. During my trip I used their help to scan for the criminals. I've been doing the same since I came back. My range has widened and today I felt it.

- You know we need to give an explanation.

- We might as well say the truth. I want to keep scanning. 

- You will draw more attention to yourself! They'll want to kill you!

- They already want to kill me. I have nothing to lose and plenty to gain.

The King stayed quiet. He couldn't win the argument, his daughter was forcing him to reveal the secret.

- Fine, but I don't like it.

Annie nodded and left. She continued her meditation until noon and repeated the process every day. Her range kept expanding and the arrests were more and more frequent until the criminals abandoned the surrounding areas. Annie knew her guards couldn't go quickly enough to arrest the criminals if they were too far away. So she stopped for a while. She also needed to regain her strength since scanning took a lot of energy from her. Besides, she knew it was only a matter of time until the Marquis payed them a visit and she was right. The day he came he requested a meeting with the King and her.

The Marquis was very eager to talk to her about her actions and what could be done to stop the band. 

- Your Highness, word has spread that you are a Gifted One.

- I imagine it has.

- My friend, Sir George is also a Gifted One and yet he doesn't seem to possess your powers.