Chapter 17

Brianna's P.O.V

Luke and I decided to go outside and play a small game of soccer before my basketball game. Calum, Michael and Ashton came over. We had a problem with having an odd number but we managed.

Ashton came home early. He was supposed to be gone for another two days. Things between Ashton and I were fine. I told him that I didn't want to date anyone at the moment. He seemed a little bummed but he understood.

"Brianna why don't you play soccer? You're amazing at it." Calum shouted kicking the ball in the home made goal.

"I haven't played yet dumbass." I jokingly hit Calum in the arm.

I never liked soccer. I didn't understand how people can run and keep the ball away from everyone at the same time without using hands.

"Ok never mind what I said earlier. You are horrible." Calum laughed at me attempting to kick the ball. Calum and Luke tried to help me during the game. Michael couldn't stop laughing at me.

"You're making me wonder how you're the best basketball player at our school." Michael picked the ball up from in front of me.

"Soccer and basketball are two different sports. You guys should come to the game. I don't want my little Lukey being alone." I poked Luke's cheek. He pushed my hand away from his face.

"I would love to go, but I don't want to see you get your ass kicked." Michael was practically whispering in my ear.

The boys waited downstairs. I collected my uniform and sneakers and shoved them in my bag. I grabbed extra hair ties the night before.

"Luke. Can we stop to get me a drink?" I walked in on their conversation.

"I'll drop you off first then grab you a drink." Luke picked up his phone and adjusted his SnapBack.

Luke rarely wore his snapback. To me it was a huge turn on.

I try to forget the image of my brother. It's hard to lose someone you were so close to and now they're gone. I didn't want to play in the game today. I thought it would take my mind off of it all. The boys helped me forget a little.

"Brianna. Ready to win?" One of my team mates did my hair.

"Yea. This is going to be the easiest game of the year." I reminded the team. The team we were playing against weren't that good.

"I just realized next year is your last year playing." The girl tied my hair up.

After I gave the whole team pre-wrap we headed out to warm up. The cheerleaders were practicing their routine in the corner. The other team was out before us. I noticed Luke set my drink down on my chair. Him and the other boys sat with Jamie. Chad sat with Luke.

I watched the other team warm up for a few seconds. They couldn't make a foul shot. I left my team to warm up while I ran to our coach.

"Who's the best on their team?" I sat down drinking the blue Gatorade.

"Number 14. You'll have her. If you aren't on her then Abbi is. Try to keep up with her." I nodded. The rest of the team came in. Our coach was telling us the plan. "Brianna you're jumping."

"Come one Brianna. They got nothing on us." Chad and Luke yelled at me. I was so embarrassed.

It was half time and we were behind 14-13. Everyone was tired and pissed off. We couldn't understand what went wrong.

"Maybe they've gotten better."

"That impossible. You can't go from being the worse team ever to beating us." I shouted. My empty Gatorade bottle went flying across the room.

"You guys aren't putting your head in the game. Especially you Brianna. What's going on with you? You're never like this." Our coach stood in front of us.

"Family issues. It's fine."

"Don't you always have family issues. It's getting kind of old now."

"Shut the fuck up Alex. I wasn't talking to your slutty ass." I yelled at her.

The coach dragged me to the other side of the room. He sat me down. The look on his face wasn't pleasant. He rarely gets mad and at this point he was beyond pissed.

"What's wrong Brianna? You can tell me." He put his arm on my shoulder.

"I'm fine. I just want this game to be done." I whipped my face.

"I know you're lying. You never lie to me."

"Uhmm... My brother Alec. Died Thursday night." I held back my tears.

"Why did you come yesterday and today? We would've understood." He rubbed my back.

"It's because of sluts like Alex that I came. She wouldn't let me forget about missing." I lowered my voice incase they could hear me.

"Go home. We won't mind." He stood up holding his hand out to me.

"I'm staying and winning this game." I walked out of the locker room.

There was more people than I realized at the game. The stands were filled and everyone cheering for the other team while they ran out. I was the only one running out for our team. I couldn't stay in there for any longer. Everyone was just pissing me off.

I decided to just start warming up with out them. I knew I was going to be lost with the last half of the game but I'll wing it.

5 seconds left and we were ahead by one point. Everyone was yelling at me to shoot. I couldn't make a half court shot. There was no point in shooting if we were ahead. I kept the ball. 2 seconds left. Even my own team was yelling at me to shoot. I was at the 3pointer spot. What the hell might as well make everyone happy. The buzzer rang. The ball still in the air. We won 57-53.

"That's my girl. At first I thought we were going to lose." Chad pulled me into a big hug.

"Thanks Chad." I left him to go with his girlfriend.

"So Michael. Who was wrong?" I put my hands on my hips.

"I will proudly admit I was wrong."

~

"Want one?" I yelled from Luke's kitchen. He was sitting watching Friends.

"You drink beer? Yea I'll have one but where did you get it?"

"My house. I don't drink all the time." I handed him the newly opened beer bottle.

"When you gunna go back home and figure this out?"

"I should go tonight. Well you should get some sleep I've been keeping you up the past few nights." I stood up walking towards the door.

"Alright. do you want me to drive you home?"

"Nah. I Know how to kick a guy in the balls and a girl in the throat." He laughed at my comment.

"Text me what's going on."

It was cold tonight. The streets were filled with shoppers. I pulled my hood up and lowered my head. Hoping no one would stop to talk to me.

I arrived to my house. Everyone was sitting on the couch. My Aunt Belle was sitting holding Zac. Zac was crying but like the rest of us depressed.

"Who won the game?" Zac lifted his head up.

"We did." I flashed him a smile. He knew it wasn't real but It wouldn't hurt to try.

"Was Chad there? How did he take it?" My dad gave me a huge bear hug.

"Yes he was there. I didn't quite tell him. I didn't get the chance too."