Two

"Aki, meet the Kira Investigation Team," my father announced as we walked through the double doors into his work. A group of men stood huddled around a small TV that looked like it had been quickly placed on one of the desks. "Everyone, this is my daughter, Akihito." A chorus of monotone hellos broke out throughout the group, their eyes still fixed on the small TV screen, except for one man. The man stepped forward, he looked closer to my age than the others, and spoke loudly, "My name is Touta Matsuda, it's nice to meet you!"

The others followed his example, each stepped forward one at a time like a cast calling at the end of a play. "I'm Hirokazu Ukita."

"Shuichi Aizawa."

"I'm Kanzo Mogi."

"And I'm Hideki Ide."

"It's nice to meet-" I began but was cut off by the sound of L's voice through the TV. I dashed over to the small desk and stared at the letter while listening to what the distorted voice was saying.

"I had to test this just in case, but I never thought it would actually happen. Kira, it seems you are able to kill people without having to be there in person. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't just witnessed it. Listen to me, Kira. If you did indeed kill Lind L. Tailor the man you just saw die on television, I should tell you that he was an inmate and his execution was scheduled for today. That was not me. The police arrested him in absolute secrecy so you wouldn't've heard about him on TV or through the internet. It appears that not even you have access to information about these types of criminals. But I assure you, L is real. I do exist. Now...try to kill me!" The distorted voice announced over the TV. Everybody began to speak over each other all at once.

"What the hell is he doing?"

"Wait what?"

"Someone needs to stop him!"

"Is he asking to be killed?"

"Well-technically-yes," I retorted. Aizawa glared at me, obviously annoyed by my comment.

I raised my hands in mock surrender just as Matsuda asked, "But why?"

"Well judging by the tone of his voice, he's noticed that Kira is childish and is trying to make him do something stupid to determine just how much power Kira possesses." Matsuda nodded and let out a grunt of approval.

"Mr. Yagami, before you arrived, L discussed with us that he wanted our headquarters to be in Tokyo and for us to meet in person," Mogi informed.

Meeting this mysterious L? This will be a joy.

"When?" I asked, curiosity lacing my tone.

"In two days. Don't worry Akihito, you won't be in school so you can come too!" Matsuda chimed. I smiled and looked up at my unhappy father.

"Don't even think about it, Aki. You are not going."

"Dad I get what you're saying," I began, "and I get that you want to protect me, but I'll be with you when we go so you'll have the ability to protect me all you want. If I'm back here alone, Kira can waltz in here without you knowing and kill me any second. Besides when we meet this L guy, there's a 50% chance that he's legit and could actually help us. With the 30% of knowledge that I already have on this subject and the percentage of knowledge that he has, we can both bounce our thoughts off each other and have a higher increased percentage of identifying and solidifying our accusation of who Kira is."

"Wow, you had those numbers memorized for a while, haven't you? Trying to look smart in front of the big boys now aren't ya, kid?" Aizawa taunted.

"Excuse me, I'll have you know that she is top of her class along with my son," my father retorted. Aizawa shrunk back into the group.

"Please, dad? I promise I won't get into any trouble."

"Okay fine," he sighed.

I smiled, delighted, and began to head out, "Thank you! I have to go do my homework now, so I'll see you at home."

I wonder what this L guy is like. He's probably another middle-aged asshole like most of the guys on this investigation team. The only difference between him and them seems to be intelligence... I hope he's younger, perhaps around my age. I'm seriously lacking intelligent conversation.