Six

"What the hell is going on here?" A voice yelled, waking me up. Was that-oh shit. Shit. Eh, oh well.

"Oh shit what time is it," I asked, mindlessly opening my eyes.

"Light told me you slept over at a friend's house." My father crossed his arms.

"Well, he wasn't entirely wrong. I mean, I slept over with a friend, it just wasn't at his house," I stated matter-of-factly.

"So you mean to tell me you disrespected me, snuck out of the house, and lied to your brother about going to a friend's?"

"Well, yeah." I knew my dad was moments away from losing his mind, but I was too groggy to care.

"This is why we don't allow children on the Investigation Team," Aizawa pointed out. Why am I always being targeted by this asshole?

"Aw, it sounds like someone's a little jealous he wasn't invited to our sleepover," I shot back.

"If you have truly been paying attention during the time we have been working together, Aizawa, then you would have realized by now that if it weren't for Hito we wouldn't have gotten as far as we have. So I would advise you to watch your mouth with her," Ryu retaliated.

"Aki, will there ever be a time when you'll actually listen to me?" my father asked in defeat.

"Listen? Probably not," I admitted, "but I assure you that I do hear you, and your words are taken into consideration, well, to an extent."

"You're just going to let it go?" Utika yelped. I think this is my cue to leave.

"Whelp," I sighed, "I didn't come here to be attacked, so I'll just be on my way." I stood up and picked up my pillow and blanket, "until tomorrow." I brushed past my father and Aizawa on my way out of the room and made my way down the many stairs of the hotel.

Where to go, where to go.

"Let's go to the Café," Ryu suggested from behind me. I turned around.

"Why aren't you in the room?"

"As your friend, I'm obligated to cheer you up." A strange heat blossomed in my cheeks and I turned away, making sure my hair fell in front of my face.

"Fair enough." The walk to the café was long, and when we finally got there we sat in the far booth where barely anyone would see us. "You know... you're the first friend I've ever had."

"You are mine as well." A comfortable silence fell over us and I tucked my bangs behind my ear. I spotted a familiar brown smudge in my peripheral vision and groaned.

"Aki? What are you doing here? Oh god, did you trick this poor guy into sitting with you?" I really wasn't in the mood for Light's irritable teasing about me and my social life.

"No. Now shove off," I grumbled.

"Of course, of course, I wouldn't want to intrude, but I do have to ask. Sir, are you here against your will?" I rolled my eyes and rested my chin on my knee.

"Fuck off, Light."

"Ouch, Aki that hurt."

"Good. Now leave me alone and stop calling me Aki. It's Akihito to you, you insufferable chode." Ryu snorted and Light finally gained some sense and walked away. The moment he left the building, I slumped down.

"Does he always talk to you like that?" Ryu questioned.

"We used to be close when we were younger, but ever since a few weeks ago, we kind of just parted ways, and he turned vile. The only time we talk is when he insults me and I fight back or when he wants me to pass him something at the dinner table."

"Do you know why he does it?" Do I tell him? Maybe I should keep this just a secret that only I know. But if Ryu knows, maybe we'll solve this case even faster than before. I should just go for it.

"Well, I-"

"Hello. My name is Hikari and I'll be your server for the morning. Can I start you off with anything to drink?" the server greeted.

"I'll have a mocha extra whipped cream, please," I ordered.

"And for you?"

"A Strawberry Milkshake."

"Alright, your drinks will be out shortly." And she left.

Maybe I should just tell Ryu that I think I know who Kira is. I don't have to tell him that I know for sure.

"So what were you saying?"

"Oh," I resumed, "well I was just saying that I think his change of mood is because he's Kira."

"Hm?"

"Well think about it: Kira is a mass murderer, so why would he spend his energy on pleasantries? He probably thinks of himself as a god, of sorts, and no longer needs to pretend to get along with anyone anymore. I've also heard him talking to something in his room, but I never know what it's about or who he's talking to. It's kind of like he's gone mad, and who wouldn't go mad after killing dozens of people in their free time? So that's why I'm figuring he's Kira."

"I can't agree with you more. It seems that your father isn't too fond of this idea, however."

"Yeah, just please don't tell him what I said, or he might actually go insane."

"Your secret is safe with me." Our drinks came out and I gulped it down, enjoying the slight burning sensation that traveled down my esophagus as it spread warmth throughout my body. I wasn't too fond of the sprinkles on top of my whipped cream, so I scraped the sprinkled bits off and plopped them onto Ryu's milkshake. His eyes shone with excitement, and he quickly devoured the little sugary cylinders.

"What are you going to do if you don't find anything with the surveillance?" I slurped a bit of my coffee and held it between my freezing hands to keep them warm. I wasn't sure what the reason was, but this Café was always below freezing. It wouldn't be long until the tip of my nose began to freeze.

"Well, I was thinking of meeting Light in person at your academy." No. Please no. Those people will tear you to shreds if you show even one hint that you're different from them. Then again, it would be nice having a buddy with me. Ugh, I'm conflicted.

"How would you be able to go? We have testing on Monday."

"I'm going to take the test with your class."