A Certain Romance

"Where are we going?" Frank asks.

"The Store, if that's chill with you. Will they get pissed if they see you're not in school?" I keep my eyes on the road.

"No, Ray is working today and he's cool."

I feel a hand on my upper thigh. This makes me happy, makes the fact that Frank is my boyfriend feel more real.

We arrive to the store and walk in to see a young guy with poofy hair at the register. I'm assuming this is Ray. As I get closer I see his name tag and it is.

"Hey Frank!" Ray shouts, waving his hand. He seems nice.

"Hey Ray." Frank does a little flick with his hand to wave.

"Who's the friend?" Ray is referring to me.

Frank looks over to me to with curious eyes to see if I'm okay with him calling me his boyfriend.

I'm actually very okay.

Would this be a part of the 'coming out' process or is there even a process? Do people just show up with a boyfriend/girlfriend and people just roll with it? I guess it depends on the person.

In my case I'm just doing this without any kind of elongated process.

I throw Frank a smile to let him know it's okay.

"Uh, this is my boyfriend, Gerard." Frank smiles at me and turns to Ray who looks surprised.

"Oh... that's awesome bro! Hey Gerard, I'm Ray, but you already know that." He trails off at the end of his sentence.

It's cool that Ray didn't get all freaked out. That's the way everyone should be.

I just wave to him and smile. Frank begins walking in front of me towards the beauty section. I follow him and get red hair dye.

We walk up to the register where Ray is smirking at us. I put the dye box on the counter.

"So, why aren't you kids in school?" Ray picks up the box and rings it up.

"We're the same age Ray. Me and Gee decided to ditch." Frank glares at him.

"Tisk Tisk, if you ditch school, you won't get an education and you won't go anywhere in life." Ray seems to only be slightly serious.

"You graduated high school with a perfect record and you're working at a run-down shop so don't play." Frank raises his eyebrows and Ray just freezes.

This is hilarious.

Ray looks at me and Frank, glancing his eyes back and forth between us. "That will be $10. 47." Ray puts the box in a plastic bag.

I guess Frank stumped him on that one.

I hand him the money and he hands me the bag and change. I take it and we head towards the door.

"Hey Frank!" We both stop and turn around to see Ray leaning over the counter. "You guys make a cute couple." He smirks and sits down in a chair behind the counter.

I look to Frank who is blushing and so am I.

Are we really?

Hearing someone else say it is a little strange. I'm not completely used to it, but it's fine.

Frank turns to Ray and winks at him.

Oh that was cute.

Smiling back to me, he walks out the door and I follow him. We hop in the van and look at each other.