Chapter eight:

The evening was quiet as Kili and Fili and Thorin sat out on the porch smoking after dinner talking quietly. Dawn sat in the library by the woodstove in silence wondering what was going to happen once Thorin left.

   Sienna walked in with a glass of wine and set it down on the table next to Dawns chair and moved to the couch with her own glass to stare into the flames through the glass window on the stove.

    Dawn began to hum in the firelight and Sienna followed knowing the song and then she began to sing in a soft voice the tune haunting.

 Lost in the darkness, hoping for a sign,

 instead there is only silence can’t you hear my screams.

 Never stop hoping, need to know where you are

But one thing is for sure you’re always in my heart

I’ll find you somewhere

I’ll keep on trying until my dying day

I just need to know whatever has happened

The truth will free my soul

Lost in the darkness, try to find your way home

I want to embrace you and never let you go

Almost hope you’re in the heavens so no one can hurt your soul

Living in agony  cause I just do not know where you are

Ill find you somewhere

I’ll keep trying until my dying day

I just need to know whatever has happened

The truth will free my soul

Wherever you are

I won’t stop searching

Wherever it takes me to go

Dawn sang the song it melting into the room with Sienna following with eye’s closed they felt the movement of it deep within. Out on the porch Thorin paused in his smoking when singing reached him.

  Fili looked back at the house as the song floated on the air, to leave all of them speechless and in awe of the sweetness of it. Kili put his pipe down and looked across the yard at the ashes of the snake feeling the sadness creeping up on him. He had to make sure Thorin didn’t see the look of dread on his face but Fili did and turned to block him from Thorins sight.

Tomorrow was they’re last day on the steading as Dawn felt that Thorin was well enough to go back. Thorin listening to the song felt his heart wrench in conflict, he needed to get back and do what he was destined to do. But he never thought that he would meet his match in Dawn.

  She left him wondering about his future as king, never had he given thought to continuing the line of Durin but she had brought the thought of it to the forefront. She was strong and independent and stubborn which made him smile.

   She refused to come back with him, but if there was a way after he reclaimed Erebor. The thought left him pondering as the song ended and the worry that something terrible would happen and he would have no power to stop it from happening.

    The evening darkened into full night and it was late when Thorin retired still feeling uncertain. Dawn lay in bed and rolled over with her head pillowed on her arms, feeling the loneliness that was going to overwhelm her when she had to return them to middle earth.