Chapter Nineteen:

Tears welled in his eyes as he gently rolled her onto her back, her hair had been cut short and her face was pale and bruised. Her clothing was in tatters and he could see where she had been hit with the arrows as the clothing was torn and bloody.

      Someone had tried to bandage the wounds but the blood on them was still fresh and her one hand was clenched across her chest. Lifting her head onto his lap he held the hand on her chest to his. “No” he cried softly as he rocked her and her hand slowly opened and he stared in shock, for in between her fingers he could see two rings.

     “Thorin what is the meaning of this” Dain shouted as he approached him and Kili suddenly stood in his way his face a mask. Thorin stopped rocking her and gently pried her hand open and in them lay his ring he had given her and his father Thrain’s ring of power.

      Gandalf appeared next to him kneeling and laid his hand on her head and closed his eyes. “She’s alive, Thorin, but we’ve got to get her out of here so I can heal her. Hold onto those rings and don’t let anyone see them” he spoke quietly at him and he nodded taking the rings from her hand and placing them in his pocket in his pants.

      “How Gandalf” and he shook his head as Thorin gathered her as gently as he could in his arms and stood up. She felt like nothing in his arms and her head rested against his chest and he could feel the heat of fever coming off her. “Thorin” Dain shouted from where Kili and now Fili stood blocking his way. Thorin glanced at him and without another word turned striding out of the throne room with Dawn in his arms.

      Dain stared in shock as Thorin picked up the girl and left the throne room with Gandalf hurrying ahead of him. “What is the meaning of this Fili, has your uncle lost his mind and who was that. What in Durins day just happened” he shouted as others in the hall were all speaking of what had just occurred.

      Thorin couldn’t walk fast enough to his chambers and as he approached he could hear Sienna screaming. Gandalf had thrown open the doors and as he walked in he found Sienna on the floor by the door to the spare chamber weeping and she stopped as he came in.

   Her eyes grew wide as she saw who he had in his arms, and then he turned and strode into his room and to his bed where he carefully laid Dawn. Her breathing was shallow as Gandalf looked at him.

    Before he could speak, three Elves rushed in, one of them Sienna recognized as Tauriel. “Thorin you must leave, you’ve left the guest in hall in chaos and word is spreading like wild fire throughout Erebor.  Leave her with us; we’ll take care of her we promise” she spoke to him as she ushered him out and shut the door to leave him standing facing the door.

      “Thorin” he turned at the sound of Sienna’s voice and turned to find her trying to stand and quickly went to her. “Is she” and he shook his head at her question and she started to cry as he gathered her to her feet and helped her limp to a chair. “How did you summon her” she sobbed as he set her down in the chair and leaned down so his face was in front of her.

   “How indeed, were you able to free her somehow” and shaking her head she looked at him. “Thorin, I don’t have the power yet to free her from such evil” she replied softly and suddenly the chamber door was thrust open and an infuriated Dain stomped in.

   “Thorin what is the meaning of this” he hollard and Thorin whirled around while straightening up. Kili and Fili ran in with Dwalin right behind and all three were armed and walked around Dain to come to stand just in front of him.

     Thorin laid a hand on Dwalin’s shoulder and felt him stiffen where he stood with large arms crossed and his eyes narrowed at Dain. “I demand an answer Thorin, just what in Durins day is going on” shaking his head Thorin stared at the older dwarf who was ruler of the Iron Hills clan.