Chapter Ten:

Dawn lay in bed listening to the birds singing outside her window and the morning light streaming in through the curtains. Today was the day she must return Thorin and Kili and Fili to middle earth and she didn’t want to get out of bed.

    The house was silent, in the early morning and Dawn already felt the emptiness creeping into her gut at the thought of not having the dwarves loud talking and joking in the house.

    She also knew that Thorin had somehow captured her heart while in her care and she must let him go. Rolling over onto her side she stared at the sword that stood on a stand by her door. He had gone to great lengths to craft it for her, and knew that all his skill was in that blade and his heart as well.

   Closing her eyes her heart heavy all she wanted to do was wish this day had never come, and she pulled the blanket up over her head. She lay there for a little longer till she knew that she had to get up.

     Sitting on the edge of the bed she took the brush off her night stand and began to brush the tangles out of her hair and braid it back off her face. She could hear footsteps out in the hall things clanging in the kitchen.

   She took her time getting dressed the last was the sword that Thorin had made in which she sheathed in the scabbard on her back before opening her door. The smell of bread met her nose as she walked into the kitchen to see Sienna fixing breakfast. “Your tea is on the table” and Dawn crossed over and grabbed the mug blowing on the hot tea in the cup.

   “You ready for this moring” Sienna asked where she fried bacon over the cast iron plate with the fire under it. “No, when it does happen I need you to be very watchful, I’ll be weak when I get back” Sienna nodded and place a plate of food in front of her aunt who was sitting at the table before returning to the fire.

   Dawn stared at the food not feeling hungry but knew she had to eat in order to have the strength. Thorin walked into the room with his bag packed and Fili was just behind him, Dawn stared as he was dressed in the gear that she had first seen him in. He came and sat down next to her and Sienna served him and he ate in silence his face a mask.

    He looked over at her from where he sat eating “You must eat” and Dawn smiled briefly and took a bite of her bread feeling it lump in her mouth. It had no taste and she forced herself to chew it before washing it down with her tea. Kili joined them and sat in silence as well eating.

    The silence was making Dawn feel ill, and eventually she couldn’t stand it and got up pushing her plate away which was only half eaten and walked outside. On the porch she leaned on the rail wanting to get sick.

  Taking deep breaths of air to calm herself she felt silly for acting like a youngling who had her first crush. She heard the door slam shut and then suddenly arms went around her and she stood up and turned around burying her face into Thorins chest.

    He held her close feeling her heart beating and her breath against his chest and he didn’t want to let her go. How was he to return knowing that she remained so far away, where he could not see or hear her voice?

  “Come with us” he asked and felt her shake her head while it was against him, he knew she couldn’t but it didn’t stop him from asking again.

    “I’ll watch over you when I can, keep my talisman close to your heart Thorin for it holds my heart” she whispered into his shirt and he held her tightly. “I Promise, I’ll find a way to get you to Erebor when it is safe” he muttered into her hair and she nodded feeling his arms tighten around her.

   They stood like this and Dawn hid her face otherwise Thorin would have seen the disappointment on her face. He let go of her when Fili walked out the door with their packs and Kili followed with Sienna in tow.