Chapter 16

Sorry for the long wait, guys! I hope it won't be as long for the next one. Thank y'all for being patient. -gcb

Chapter Sixteen.

Fighting The Feelings.

Joe's POV.

It's been a little over a week since Chelsea and I kissed. To be honest, I'm glad I kissed her. Maybe I'm finally letting go. Am I going to forget about Gabi and never look back? No. Would I take Gabi back? In a damn heartbeat. Although, I'm trying to make myself move on so I can let go of the thought that she'll ever be mine again. I know this is all my fault, and that's my burden to live with. I was pulled out of my thoughts by my phone ringing.

It was my old buddy from back home and from my high school football team, Jason.

"Hey, man. What's going on?" I asked, pretty surprised he was calling. I hadn't heard from him in a couple months.

"Hey, Joe. I just wanted to let you know that Gabi was down here this weekend." He sighed. I felt my body tense up.

"She was in Pensacola?" I asked.

"Yeah. Uh, she asked about you. I told her the latest I knew about you and she just nodded her head. Then, she disappeared for a while and when she came back, it looked like she's been crying." She cried? Over me? I don't understand.

"Woah, did she bring anyone with her?" I asked, making sure of something.

"Uh yeah. Her two roommates. They seem like pretty cool girls. I did hear her talking to somebody named Jaime but I don't know who it was." He replied.

"Thank you so much for calling, man." I responded.

"Anytime. I'll call you soon, alright?" He asked.

"Sure sounds great." We exchanged goodbyes and hung up. I sat back on the couch and rubbed circles on my temples, trying to ease the increasing pain in my head. I could've seen her if I had been in Pensacola. I probably could've hugged her, I bet she would've let me. Maybe, just maybe, we could've talked and tried to mend things... Joe, snap out of it. You need to calm down. She probably doesn't want you. Just let it go. Ugh, I need coffee. I grabbed my phone and wallet and shoved them in my pockets before heading down to the café.

----------

I sat down in the back booth. As I drank my coffee, I couldn't help but let my mind wonder to Gabi. I wonder what she looks like now. If she's cut her hair or let it grow. I bet she's lost weight now, not that she needed to. I'm sure she still wears her glasses, although every morning she'll whine about it. Man, I wish I could let go, but how are you supposed to let go of someone that means so much to you? I heard the ringing of a bell, signaling someone was walking in. I turned my attention just as Chelsea's small figure walked through the door. She spotted me and waved before getting in line to get her coffee. I tried to clear my mind of my depressing love life before she got to the table. She came and sat down in front of me.

"Well hey there, stranger." She giggled, pushing her glasses back up.

"Hey, Chels." I smiled at her.

"I tried calling but I didn't get a response so I just went to your dorm and when there was no answer I just came here." She said, sipping her coffee.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I must've turned my phone on vibrate. My bad." I chuckled. That was a lie. It was on, and I heard every call. I just ignored it. I wanted to be left alone for a while.

"Oh it's cool. So after class this afternoon, whatcha wanna do?" She asked.

"Hmmm, Fast and Furious marathon?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.