Chapter XII: THE FORECAST

The sun rises brightly in Chevflaun but it is dim to Chimela. Odis, Faruz and Honmin are tiresome and disheartened. Honmin's knees shake out of exhaustion. Odis scratches his head and says...

"I can't come up with another idea."

"I hope Azalel's fine at home. He surely looks for us."

"He's in good hands with my daughter. Chimela needs you here."

"I'll send another stationary unit at home to be certain."

"Juzfald will not harm Azalel. Sagah will come after him and kill him."

"We need some hot chocolate and fruit tarts."

"Yes, Odis, it will be delightful for an old man like me."

Faruz glimpses at Chimela and he reminisces the times when they eat breakfast together. He daydreams about having a happy family with her and Azalel. She taught him how to bake fruit tarts. This tart doesn't spoil. It becomes tastier as time goes by. Victus comes into the room with a ragged face. It seems like he's drunk. Honmin keeps silent at one corner because he is afraid of what Victus might do.

"She doesn't look good. We don't look good. Odis, is she dead?"

"She is in a coma."

"You're inebriated. Sir Honmin, bring him to his room and ask some nurses to watch over him."

"Odis, it is the second time I saw him so drunk."

"He might cause trouble here."

"It will be best if you put yourself together, Victus."

"Is it hopeless? Huh... Honmin...? Odis...? Faruz...? "

"It's uncertain."

With one signal from Faruz, Honmin assists Victus to another room. Faruz wants to sob but he can't swallow his pride. It's the toughest battle he has to fight in his entire existence; the battle to save his treasured woman. How come a powerful demigod like him can't save a life?

"Odis, it will not take me long. I have to ask for heaven's intervention."

He decides to go to the temple of Ariz, the god of war. There, he offers a goblet of his blood and slaughters a huge bull in the hope of Chimela's salvation. Ariz descends from the sky and opts to talk to Faruz as he is one of his descendants apart from Althene. He is also his most favored demigod.

"Why would the brilliant chief ask for my intervention?"

"Please, there is no other immediate way I can choose."

Ariz walks around him with his golden armor and helmet. He taps Faruz's shoulder and whispers...

"You know well that I keep on blessing your battles. But Faruz, I can't spare her."

"How come you can't? You are a god!"

"I'm just good at killing. Won't it be easier if you'll end her sufferings?"

"I can't. I'll never do that. You can ask for Hadiz not to take her life."

"Hadiz is my enemy. He sparked the Khalsas Battle with Hepisthus, right?"

"Call any other gods who are at our side."

"Just a glimpse of the future... She will die... because of you."

"Me? What do you mean?"

"That's part of Widja's prophecy."

"Widja...?"

"If I'm not mistaken, she's the sister of Juzfald who died because of Sagah."

"Is she the supreme demoness who killed Zerachi?"