Chapter XVIII: DEFINING FATHERS

Juzfald sees Faruz stride away from the plain. He finishes one of the demigod commanders by compelling a deep drink. He is very well aware that Sagah, Samael, and Noam are in Chevflaun.

"Where are you going, chief? Are you petrified? Do you want to rest beside Chimela's sepulcher?"

He does not pay attention to Juzfald. Instead, he gives his full trust on Victus and Honmin to hold the demon – king and the legion general. On his way to Chevflaun, he keeps pondering about the things that happened and is happening. He tries to weave everything he can remember; seeking possible solutions to this chaos. His limbs are covered with mixed sweat, dust, and blood.

"Azalel, I will not let you be like your father nor give you the same fate as your mother."

Faruz is full of vigor and prepares himself against Sagah. Of a sudden, while in a hurry, he notices that someone follows him. Bathenus reveals himself from the shades of the trees in Masthema.

"What do you want?"

"We could use some time to talk."

"Bathenus..."

"Long time no see."

"What's your motive? I'm in a hurry."

"Don't go to Chevflaun. You'll not be fond of what will happen."

"I know well your negation on Juzfald's ruling but don't expect that I'll trust you. You're his brother."

"I am; you are my nephew."

"I'm the son of Lahal Parthen. How could that happen?"

"Do you intend to outsmart me so I'll fail to save my son and my kingdom?"

"You are a great leader of Chevflaun but I fathom you're also a prey of fate."

Bathenus walks around Faruz and gives him a hint of who he really is. He is not allowed to divulge everything with regards to what Widja tells him because it leads to the destruction of the oracle.

"Faruz, your father, Lahal is a demigod. Do you know who your mother is?"

"I never saw my mother. Father kept her a mystery to me."

"I think it's time you know that your mother is Widja. She's the youngest among us, siblings."

"Was she the blind demoness who disposed of Noam and Samael?"

"You are right. This means that you're also a..."

"...demon? How certain are you about that?"

"Well, I cannot tell you more. I came here to warn you that danger awaits you in Chevflaun. If you'll let Sagah take Azalel with him I can come across a way to help you save your son and your kingdom but if you insist on going there, it's your discretion. I just hope that Juzfald does not have this in his list."

"You can assure me nothing. Azalel's safety is a different account."

"Azalel is Sagah's child. I am sure of that. Sagah is my son. I can talk to him."

"Oh, now he's my cousin. What a reunion! I value your effort, Bathenus."

"I and Widja lived in Chevflaun. We found Neferti and Lahal."

"I'll deal with you later. I have limited time. I can't watch my kingdom perish."

In Chevflaun, Gregori keeps on knocking at the door where Azalel is hidden.

"Commander Waldo, they are coming. It's time we go."

"We cannot leave. They will surely locate us wherever we go. They are special types of demons. We'll have to secure this place until the chief arrives. Call more patrol units."