Chapter 17 - Backward Flash

"Dare to Be. When a new day begins, dare to smile gratefully.

When there is darkness, dare to be the first to shine a light.

When there is injustice, dare to be the first to condemn it.

When something seems difficult,dare to do it anyway.

When life seems to beat you down, dare to fight back.

When there seems to be no hope, dare to find some.

When you're feeling tired, dare to keep going.

When times are tough, dare to be tougher.

When love hurts you, dare to love again.

When someone is hurting, dare to help them heal.

When a friend falls, dare to be the first to extend a hand.

When you cross paths with another, dare to make them smile.

When you feel great, dare to help someone else feel great too.

When the day has ended, dare to feel as you've done your best.

Dare to be the best you can - At all times, Dare to be!"

― Steve Maraboli

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katniss' POV:

Sleep disappears and I enter a whole new world, a world of hell and despair. I cliche-ly pinch my arm to test whether I am indeed within the realms of a nightmare. When I open my droopy eyes I instinctively jump slightly, trying to move away from the bulky man towering above me and my hospital bed. What is going on?

In the midst of pondering over why I begin to realise I am being selfish, too selfish thinking about myself to notice my forgiving sister, Prim sitting in the seemingly uncomfortable hospital chair across the room. Another different man towers have her slender frame holding a gun to her head. As a reflex I try to lunge out once again, failing to remember that the man towering about me not only has a gun in the belt-loop of his pants, but a knife in his hand, slowly moving its way downwards and towards my bruised and healing throat.

I let out a whimpering gasp as I sit there motionless in what seems like an eternity. I stare at prim whilst trying to take my mind off the dully pain forming throughout my neck. My sister looks so sullen, so devoid of emotion and it is as if the life inside her has been taken away. Again it makes me question what happened.

Five, ten, fifteen minutes pass until the boulder sized man leaning against my bed receives a startling vibration from inside his trouser pocked. He then proceeds to grasp the iPhone and answers the phone. He informs the other man with is gun fixated on Prim that he himself is required to me. Not without telling the other man to keep a well trained eyed on the both of us, not doubt because the ratio will become two to one with the absence of the man.

He still does not take the knife off my throat until he presses it further into my bruised flesh, tears well up inside my eyes as he spits mockingly,

"Don't try anything or this blade will surely be the last thing you see on earth."

I nod quickly. Too quickly for my liking as he leaves with a curt nod towards his accomplice. Not without slamming the door behind him, making the floor rattle with anticipation and suddenly I realise that I let out a breath of air I hadn't known I have been holding. The man across from me smirks upon seeing my semi relaxed facial expressed as he make his own way to the door, taking his trained gun on Prim off his head and begins inspecting it.