Chapter 18

He stopped telling the story. Honestly I was heart broken to hear that. "Anyways... I was put in an orphanage and was adopted by a couple who was having trouble of their own. They got fed up with me, so here I am..." He said, regaining his breath and all.

No matter how curious on who and what that man and the teenage boy was trying to tell him, it pains me to see him like this. He's been through so much and he has to deal with his foster parents abandoning him in his time of need. It's all to much.

"Reed." I said in a calm tone.

He stayed silent and continued to look at the ground.

"You shouldn't be hurting yourself over this..." I said and moved his hair out of his face, "no matter what they say to you, just remember this; you don't have to suffer anymore. I'm here for you." I smiled.

He looked up at me with his eyes as round as ever. More tears trickled out of his eyes and he hugged me once again. I accepted the hug and didn't let go. How long has it been since he's heard this? Has anyone, or even Eli, ever been there for him when he needed it the most? I put a bandage gauze around his wound and headed outside.

The sun out in the sky was covered by grey clouds. 'The weather man did say there was a chance of rain...' I thought to myself.

Reed was by my side. I insisted he should come along, just to make sure he doesn't do that again, or anything else that's more threatening.

"Kailey... can we go back now?" He asked.

"In a little bit. You need some fresh air before we go back in." I answered.

"...why do you care so much? I mean-why?"

"What do you mean?"

"Letting me stay at your place, feeding me... especially when I first met you. I thought you hated me." He said.

The first time I met him... yeah I was actually really upset. But it wasn't enough to hate him. I opened my mouth to answer his question when my phone vibrated.

"Hold on." I said and checked who it was.

From: Eli

Hey cutie ;) you mind if I stop by your place? Ya know, just hang????

I had no emotion and texted back immediately,

To: Eli

Hey, um... not now. Sorry, another time...

From: Eli

Aw ;( okay. Next time! :*

"Yeah..." I said and put my phone back, "um... let's go back now."

The tv in the living room was on, and Reed was in the living room. When I got back home, there was a bunch of mail in the mail box. Water bill, electric bill, mail from my parents-MAIL FROM MY PARENTS!?!?

I set every other mail down besides my parents. Usually I would receive money instead, so a letter is more different.

To, Kailey

I miss you so much, sweety, Tiffany said she's excited to have you invite her to visit you. I'm glad you two still talk! Anyways your father misses you too, see you hopefully soon!

Love, mom and dad

Tiffany? I don't remember inviting her here in the first place....