Chapter 17

-Reed-

"Mommy?"

"Yes?"

"When am I going to see daddy?"

Her eyes went wide. I didn't know why, but they went wide. She took a deep breath and looked to her right side.

"Baby, you're daddy is somewhere else. I'll tell you when you're older." She patted my head and continued cooking the spaghetti.

I frowned a bit, and went to my room. My mommy said my daddy's somewhere else and she won't tell me where he is. She said my daddy in Florida wasn't my real daddy, whatever that meant. I couldn't tell. Probably when I get older I will!

"C-A-M-P-F-I-R-E-S-O-N-G SONG!~" I sang in the living room.

Sponge bob is my favorite show on TV! Whenever I'm down or just really happy, I would always watch Sponge bob!

My mom was talking on her phone, she was yelling a bit.

"I don't care! He's not your-" she stopped and hung up the phone, "Reed, sweetie. Take your nap now."

"Aw! Okay." I said and turned the tv off.

~15 years old~

"Reed, how's school?" Mom asked.

"Good..." I answered in a calm tone of voice.

The room was quiet as always. Out in the hall you can hear the nurses and doctors pass by ever so often. Helping patients try and get better, no matter what their condition may be.

My mom was admitted into the hospital a couple of months ago. She was really sick and couldn't come home. So I had to fend for myself whenever I leave the hospital. I had no other choice than to get a part time job at McDonalds. It was hard for me, I can barely survive with the money I receive. Everyday before I would go to work, I would always visit my mom and talk about school and my job. Even though it's not much, she says she's really proud of me. She also apologized more than she needed-or-ever needed to.

"Mrs. Senard?" The doctor knocked through the door.

"Come in." She replied.

"Um... sorry to interrupt but, may I please speak to your mother in private?" He asked me.

I looked over at my mom, who have an approving yes. Leaving me outside in the hall while they talk things out.

'I hope she gets admitted out very soon. Mom said she was getting better slowly...' I thought.

I'm not that gullible, but I have to much hope that she'll get better. She'll be better and we can live a normal life again, but this time she won't have to work. She'll just rest, while I take care of her. I don't want her to move an inch when she gets home. I want her to rest.

The door opens and the doctor comes out looking worried as ever. My body tensed up a little as we made eye contact. As soon as he left, I rushed into the room "mom-what did he say!?" I asked.

She looked... like she knew she was going to be told whatever he said. Quickly smiling, "that I'm going to get better in no time. No worries hun. Everything's just fine." She assured.

'I know that's not what he said! How long do you have!? Do you have to get surgery again!?'

~A month later~

All of mom's friends were at her funeral. My family on my mom'a side didn't give a shit about her.

"Another problem out of the way."

"Honestly, what was she thinking?"

"Such a disappointment in life."

Everyone in the family kept talking shit about her. I clenched my fists as tight as I could to restrain myself from socking the hell out of them. They're family and they do this to her especially at her funeral!? That's so low for a family with a high class.

I've met everybody else that knew mom, but there was two unfamiliar faces in the crowd. There was a man and a teenage boy who seemed to be about my age or older.

After the funeral, everyone in the family left first without giving their condolences. Some of mom's friends did. The two unfamiliar guys that showed up at the funeral, they gave their condolences. For some reason the teenage boy seemed so heart broken. Did mom know him? Babysit in the past maybe? The man on the other hand looked shattered.

"Reed." The man set his hand on my left shoulder.

I flinched a bit and looked straight at them. "How do you know my name?" I asked.

It felt pretty stupid to ask. What if someone said my name during session? What if mom mentioned me back then?

"Hm... you're mother... wanted me to tell you this before she passed...."