11

The mystery girl leaves you and your companions in a state of shock.

"Uh... that was a thing." your dry comment causes some kind of shift in Lily, and she looks down before letting out a shaky laugh.

"Y-yeah. Jack w-won't believe her, right? L-like, he'll trust us, if we t-tell him?" You notice the tremor in her voice and look over. Oh no. She's crying. You step up and engulf her in a hug. She cries into your shoulder.

It's strange. You're usually not the strong one. But Lily has protected you since the beginning. It's time to return the favor.

"Shhh..." you rub her back, "It'll be ok..."

--------------------[-_-]----------------------

"This is not gonna be ok! What am I gonna do?! This is a horrible thing to do to someone, and is unfair to everyone involved!"
Jack is pacing in his room, his hand running through his hair seemingly in a constant loop. He clutches the phone he is speaking into, desperately needing assurance.

He gets it in the form of a deep, male, baritone voice on the other line.

"Jack, it's gonna be fine. You still have a few months, right? At least a few weeks. This is only the first date! Calm down!" the voice laughs, "I have to go record and edit, but I will talk to you later, okay?"

Jack takes a deep breath. "Yeah, yeah ok. I'll call you later."

"Buh-bye!" His friend hangs up.

Jack looks down at the picture frame on his dresser, picking it up and rubbing a finger gently on the depicted woman's face.

"Still causin' trouble, aren'tcha?"

----------------------[-_-]----------------------

"Group date letter!" The announcement causes Lily to perk up, wiping off her tears.

"Let's go! "

You gather in the living room, crowding around Moni, who's holding up the letter like a trophy, and standing on the couch like a stage.

"Cut the suspense! Open it already! " the good natured exclamation causes a ripple of laughter among you. Moni grins and rips open the envelope, ensuing a room-wide cheer.

"Dear contestants! Group Date! Get ready to jump for joy, and remember, don't miss the net!" Moni stops and reads some words silently, then her chocolate cheeks grow a shade darker.

"Moniiiii!" Lily draws out her friend's name, "tell ussss!"

Moni shakes her head and continues to read out loud.

"Lily, Moni, [y|n], Charlie, and..." Moni stops to squint at the name, "Mend-... Menda-..."

"Mendy! Just... just Mendy." The green eyed woman from before interrupts with a kind giggle. "Sorry, weird name, I know." She giggles again, her personality seemingly bubbly and joyful. She's a good actress.

"Right. 'Mendy'. My bad." Moni smiles at her. The fact that 'Mendy' is fooling everyone is making your blood boil, but you stay silent. Moni continues reading. "Dress in something you can jump in! See ya next week!"

"So we're jumping? Yay! I love trampolines!" Mendy grabs Lily and pulls her into a hug, squeezing her middle a touch too hard. "We're gonna have so much fun!"

Lily grits her teeth in pain and pats Mendy' s back. "Y-yep." She meets your eyes, her own filled with anger, pain, and apprehension. "So much fun."