Chapter 12~ Reconciliation

Lily woke up happily because she was finally going back to work. It was ironic how she hated going to work every other day but now after spending a few days off work she was more than excited to return. She woke up early but there was no guarantee that she would get to work on time. It didn't matter how early she woke up, she always managed to get there late.

Fortunately for her, she arrived early. Gary was pleased to see her and even more pleased that she wasn't late. There seemed to be a positive vibe going around that morning. Rachel was in the changing room. Rachel had left late that Sunday night. The two always managed to talk until they lost track of time. Lily knew a lot of things about Rachel but the one she admired the most was that she was a hardworker. She always managed to be early for work, put her all during work and still had lots to do after work.

Lily scanned the room for her other coworker. Rhys was on the phone so Lily decided not to disturb him. As usual, when Rachel saw Lily she leaped to hug her. Lily was just happy that this day had started well.

Lily checked the time and it was 5:45am. How did she get to be that early? She decided to use the remaining few minutes to speak to Rhys. He had been avoiding her and now it was time to get answers. Lily made her way to the main room of the café. Rhys was humming a song as he wiped the counter.

"Rhys!" She said as she embraced him.

"Lily, I'm happy to see you but you're chocking me."

"Oh, right."

Lily let him go and they both laughed. Lily didn't even remember the last time they'd had a normal conversation like this. Something had changed about Rhys and Lily ws eager to hear what it was.

"I just missed you. How have you been? And you've been avoiding my calls." Lily said.

Rhys hung his head in shame. Why did it seem like he was always hiding something.

"What's going on Rhys?" Lily asked the question she felt she had been asking herself a lot of late.

"I-"

Rhys was stammering. Whatever he was about to say had to be big.

"You what?" Lily asked.

Curiosity was getting the better of her.

"I-"

"Rhys?" She questioned.

"I forgave my uncle. We're now on talking terms. I didn't want to tell you cause I didn't know how you'd react." Rhys finally said.

Wow. Definitely not what she expected. She didn't know how she felt but at the end it was Rhys' decision.

"Rhys. If you're happy, I'm happy." Lily told him.

"Thanks Lily. Sorry I have been absentminded lately but I'm back now. You can't get rid of me."

"Its not like I would try to." Lily laughed.

"So what's been going on?" Rhys asked.

The two catched up and were back to normal in no time. Lily wasn't done though. She had to make sure Jack wasn't lying that he was a changed man. If he was then it would break Rhys's heart  and she wasn't going to allow that to happen. They had been down that road before and Lily wasn't going to let history repeat itself.

                                   ★★★★★★★

"This feels so good. I feel like James Bond." Lizzy squealed.

"Are you sure we should be doing this?" Rachel asks.

"Just chill girls. This is the right thing to do." Lily reassures.

The three girls were huddled in Lizzy's car as they followed Jack's car. Lily decided that she wasn't going to sit around and let things happen on their own. She wanted to ensure that Jack wasn't lying. If he was still the same old Jack then he was bound to be involved in one shady deal or the other.

Lily had managed to convince Lizzy and Rachel to help her investigate Jack. Lily had to call a few intelligent friends of hers who managed to give her his address. He was staying in a hotel which made Lily wonder why he would  stay in one since he would be in town for a long time.

Lily and the girls staked out the hotel and luckily for them, Jack drove out.  Lizzy suggested that they follow him and see where he was going. She  was clearly excited about how things were happening but Rachel was a little conservative.

"This is super spy stuff." Lizzy said.

She could barely sit properly. She was rubbing her hands together and constantly looking ahead to see Jack's car.

"What if he catches us and we get into real trouble?" Rachel shivered.

"A little positivity please Rach."
Lizzy said.

"I'm just scared." Rachel said.

"Well don't be because nothing is gonna happen." Lizzy reassured.

By that time Jack had switched lanes. It looked like they were all headed for the mall. Lily just prayed that Jack was changed. Rhys was very happy and she didn't want her friend to lose all that again.

"So Lily, what exactly are we looking for?"

"Anything out of the ordinary I guess." Lily shrugged.

Lily's suspicions were confirmed when Jack drove into the mall. They parked their car a little distance from him and waited for him to get out of his car. Jack knew Lily so well. If it wasn't for that they would have gotten out if the car and pretend to take pictures or something.

"He's out." Rachel reported and they all looked out the window.

"What is in that bag he's holding?" Lizzy asked.

"Only one way to find out. Let's follow him."

Lizzy and Lily unbuckled their seat belts but Rachel stayed glued to her seat.

"Rachel?" Lily asked and she didn't flinch.

"I think y'all should go. I will just stay back here and guard the car."

Lily knew Rachel was scared and she didn't want to push the matter any further.

"Okay." Lily agreed.

Rachel didn't like to get in trouble. At one time when she was younger she spent the whole day hungry because her mom had forgotten to tell her to eat.

Lizzy and Lily left the car and headed in the direction that Jack took. When they turned the corner they saw him still walking in the parking lot. They kept their distance. Jack finally went inside and the two nosy girls followed right behind. They discovered that they were not inside the mall but they were in an underground parking lot they were in. Lily felt like they were about to make a breakthrough. She rushed to follow him but then she bumped into someone.

"Can't you check where you're going?"

Lily recognized the voice. It was an unmistakable one.

"Matthew?"

************************************************************

7/7/2017