Chapter 20 ~ Date

Typical Matthew. Always trying to be in control. Control her, control the world and control everything and everyone in general. She wasn't going to let him succeed. She'd finally met a good guy and she wasn't going to let him slip away from her because of Matthew's ununderstandable bursts of anger. Andrew now had Lily's number and all she had to do was wait for a call. She didn't have to wait for long because a few minutes afterwards her phone's ringtone blasted through the house.

"Hello?"

"Hi beautiful girl. How's your evening going?"

The voice confirmed that it was him. Lily was so pleased that he'd called.

"Hey Andrew. It's going well."

"Great because I'm about to make tomorrow evening even better."

"Awww. What's happening tomorrow night?"

"We're going out."

What did he mean out? Like out out?

"What?"

"I'm asking you to go out with me."

Yes! Yes! Yes!

"Like a date?"

Lily wanted to be sure that she didn't misinterpret things.

"Yes, on a date. Dinner?"

Lily could sense that Andrew was smiling wherever he was.

"Sure."

"Pick you up at 6."

"Okay see you then."

I have a date! I have a date! Oh my word. She picked up her phone.

"Lizzy, we have an emergency."

"What kind?"

"Fashion kind."

"Lizzy to the rescue. I'm on my way."

★★★★★★★

Matthew frowned at the papers in front of him. He was clean. Andrew was squeaky clean. Pastor's son, had a degree, senior executive at an advertising company and nothing bad. Nothing he could use against him. For the first time that day, he realised how screwed he was.

There was a perfect guy who was showing interest in a girl he liked. The same girl who he had a deal with. A deal that he was no longer convinced that he would win. The same girl who was smart and fun, not materialistic, interesting, strong and the list could go on and on. With Andrew around, the risk of losing her was too high unless.... Unless he won her heart first.

Matthew dialled Lily's number in haste.

"Matthew."

"Matt."

"Right. Matt. What's up?"

"Can I take you out to dinner tonight?"

There was a moment of silence from the other side.

"I beg your pardon?"

Matthew knew that Lily heard her but she just didn't believe her ears.

"I said, can I take you out to dinner tonight? Take you out on a date."

"Oh. I'm sorry Matthew but I have a date tonight."

"Date? With who?"

"The 'thing' from yesterday."

"Oh. Alright then. Have a great evening."

"Yeah you too."

Matthew hung up and felt like he'd been hit by a bus. Andrew was moving faster than he expected. He had gotten her on a date so quickly. Soon he'd be proposing and the next thing they would be married with a bunch of kids. He wasn't going to let it happen. Time to come up with a plan.