Chapter 28 ~ Reunion

Lily had Matthew in mind the whole time. The police wouldn't let her go to the hospital because they wanted her statement. Chad was right beside her the whole time. Andrew had gone since the moment they announced that they found his girlfriend. Chad kept convincing her that Matthew was okay since he'd lost so little blood. As if that was supposed to make her feel better.

Even worse, some police officer called her parents. She'd been shocked to see them. The last thing she wanted was to explain the many things that had happened since she met Matthew three weeks back. She'd acted disoriented so the paramedics had asked her parents to let her rest a little while. They were reluctant to go but they finally gave in. Since she was okay, they agreed to go home on condition that she'd come and see them.

The police finally let her go and she was out of the building as quickly as possible. Chad was at her side and offered to drive her. Chad was a good person, really friendly and considerate.

"Chad, how do you know Matthew?" Lily asked once they were seated in the car.

"We were friends back in high school. We went to the same church too, that was before his mom died of course. From then we drifted apart. He just kept me as a partner for work not as a friend. Its only me and Q now." Chad explained.

Lily laughed. Matthew had no friends so she was right. He seemed to have pushed everyone away at some point. That is why Q was so nice to him despite the way he acted. He was working with hope that one day his friend would return.

"You and Q are close?" She asked.

"Very. We had Matthew too, we always pray for that moron. It seems like God finally won, not in the way expected but he did. He brought you along."

Lily didn't understand.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"That's for Matthew to tell. Let's hope he's awake. He's a strong one."

Lily nodded her head in agreement. He had to wake up. She wasn't ready to cry again. They pulled into the hospital parking lot. Lily was rushing to get inside as quickly as she could.  Chad talked to the receptionist and they soon got a room number. Lily was relieved he wasn't in the ER. He had to be doing better.Outside the room, Q was already sitting there.

"Hey Q. How's he doing?" Lily asked.

Lily wasn't sure she was ready to hear the answer. She just prayed that he wasn't dying or.....dead.

"Doctor's been in there for some time. I'm waiting for him to come out with feedback." Q told her.

It was clear that he was trying to be strong for her sake.

"So we're just gonna wait here and do nothing?" Lily asked as if it was the most ridiculous thing ever.

The door to the room opened and the doctor stepped out.

"Not anymore. How is he doc?" Chad said.

The doctor looked at him then at Q and lastly at her. Lily was getting nervous. Something must be wrong.

"He's awake." He announced.

Everyone released their breath. Relief washed over them.

"He wasn't hit by the bullet. It's a flesh wound. He's fine. You can take him home today if you want." The doctor announced.

Lily did a celebratory dance. He was fine. She was going to give him a piece of her mind for scaring her like that.

"But doc, if he wasn't shot the why did he pass out?" Q asked.