Chapter 21 ~ Family

Lily looked at the hot chocolate in front of her with disgust. She had suddenly lost her appetite. Andrew had gone out of his way to make the evening perfect but she wasn't there. Her thoughts were with Matthew. Lily had mastered the game of acting unconcerned when in the presence of Matthew even though she felt the complete opposite.

She couldn't deny that when she saw Matthew on the door in that suit, looking handsome and crazy, she almost jumped into his arms and run off with him but obviously she wouldn't do that. Anyway she didn't like Matthew like that. What a joke! Just admit it already. Shut up, Lily told her mind. Matthew was doing a lot of things and it looked like he was acting out of pure jealousy. Why would he be jealous? Seriously? Just admit that he likes you. No he doesn't. Yes he does. If he didn't do you think he'd be jealous? Lily sighed. Her crazy mind had a point.

"Lily? Are you okay?" A concerned Andrew asked.

Lily finally came back to life. After dinner they had gone to buy some hot chocolate some blocks away from her home. They were walking towards her house whilst drinking the hot liquid.

"I'm fine."

"You are so quiet and you keep sighing."

"Am I? I'm sorry I didn't realize. Just got lost in thought for a moment."

Andrew touched his heart and fake cried.

Sniff sniff. "Am I that boring?"

"No Mr Hotshot. It's a girl thing. You wouldn't understand."

In her history, Lily had learnt that if you tell guys that its a 'girl thing', they would ask no further questions.

"Hmm okay. Take my jacket. You look pretty cold."

Awwww such a gentleman. You're so indecisive, Lily scolded her mind. A minute ago you were vouching for Matthew.

"Thanks."

The rest of the walk was filled with laughter. Andrew was quite the comedian. Andrew took her a slight distance from her gate since he was still scared of her 'brother'.

"Thanks for the beautiful evening Andrew. It was fun." Lily said once he'd announced his departure.

"Yeah it was fun for me too. I'll call you."

Andrew kissed her cheek and murmured a goodbye and he was gone. Lily was surprised to see Matthew's car still there. What is his car still doing here? Lily walked to the door until something moved on the door.

"Agh-" she began to scream but the figure cut her off.

"Hey hey it's me."

Lily couldn't believe her eyes.

"Matthew? What are you doing sitting on my porch?"

"I was waiting for you. I had to see you." Matthew shivered.

Why didn't you wait inside or in your car instead of freezing here?" Lily asked. She was genuinely concerned.

"I know Lizzy is inside. I'm sure the crazy witch would have said that I could freeze here for all she cared so I didn't bother trying. I didn't want to sit in the car either in case I would miss you when you came in."

Lily wondered what was so important that he had to freeze for. First she had to warm him up before bombarding him with questions.

Lily unlocked the door and invited Matthew inside. She quickly lit the heater and brought him a bunch of blankets.

"Coffee or tea?"

"Tea please. Black. One sugar."

Lily smiled. He said please and he didn't even realize it.