Chapter 8 ~ Smooth

"Well well well, look who we have here. If not my handsome nephew." Jack said.

Rhys didn't flinch. One would think he was a statue. His eyes yielded one word - fear. Finally his mouth moved but not because he was saying something. It was quivering in fear. Lily decided to step in seeing as her friend was suddenly mute.

"Hi Jack. Please sit down." Lily said.

Jack took his seat. Lily herself wasn't scared. She just wasn't sure what to expect from him. Jack was a dangerous man. The type that would walk around with guns and wouldn't hesitate to use it if need arose.

Rhys finally pulled himself together. Lily saw that he was ready to talk. Lily had suggested that they meet up with Jack so that they find out what he was up to. Its not like he was going to tell them his plans but he might point them in the right direction.

"Why are you back?" Rhys asked.

He sounded so cold. It was to be expected since the only time Jack came into town was when he was broke and needed a quick way to make some cash.

"I'm hurt Rhys, not even a proper hello." Jack said. When Rhys didn't answer he continued to say "I'm here to stay. I'm a changed man Rhys. I know I have betrayed you multiple times and for that I'm sorry. I'm going to make it right. Just give me a chance. I know its a lot to take in so I'll let you think about it. Nice seeing you Lily." Jack said.

Jack stood up and left. Both Rhys and Lily's mouths were wide open. They expected everything but this. Jack apologized. Lily said it in her head a dozen times before it sank in. When Lily came back to reality she saw Rhys pacing around the table. He looked just as confused as she was.

"I'll see you later."

That was all Rhys said before he took off. Without anything else to stay for, Lily followed right after him.

★★★★★★★

Lily looked at the tall building in front of her. The building was nothing like she expected. Lily expected the building to be another way for Matthew to show his money but the building was different. It had about fourteen floors and it was emerald green. With a little vegetation on the outside, the building was beautiful. Lily made her way into the building. She regretted not bringing a jacket because the weather had changed drastically. It was very cold and she was shivering.

Lily reached what she assumed was the reception. There was a woman seated behind the desk.

"Hi." Lily greeted.

"Hello. How can I help you?"

The receptionist was welcoming. She had a genuine smile on her face. People usually plastered fake smiles on their faces because they have to but this woman was different.

"I'm here to see Matthew."

Everyone seemed to stop whatever they were doing to look at her. All eyes were on her. It's like she had said something unacceptable.

"Mr Williams? You're here to see Mr Williams?" The woman stammered.

Lily wondered why the woman suddenly lost her composure.

"Yes I am." Lily reassured her.

The receptionist quickly recovered and finally spoke.

"Uh ummm okay. Just sign yourself in. You can take the elevator to the seventh floor once you're done." She said.

Lily quickly signed the book and returned it to the woman.

"Thank you."

Lily made her way to the elevator. She was genuinely surprised by how easy it was for her to get in. The woman didn't even ask if she had an appointment. The elevator rang once it reached the seventh floor. Now all she had to do was find his office.